10.6 Acrobat PDF will not open in 10.58

kaiserwilhelm

We are doing extensive testing with 10.65 in our environment before going live. I made some pdfs in 10.65 and then had another machine (10.58) attempt to open them. They show up in her finder as a unix kind of icon that wants to open in Terminal. I thought the easy fix would be to tell 10.58 that all of that kind should open in Acrobat. It did not like that and returned an error.
I finally pulled out A Better Finder Renamer and put a .pdf at the end of them all. Then, they opened.
Anybody else seen this?

We are doing extensive testing with 10.65 in our environment before going live. I made some pdfs in 10.65 and then had another machine (10.58) attempt to open them. They show up in her finder as a unix kind of icon that wants to open in Terminal. I thought the easy fix would be to tell 10.58 that all of that kind should open in Acrobat. It did not like that and returned an error.
I finally pulled out A Better Finder Renamer and put a .pdf at the end of them all. Then, they opened.
Anybody else seen this?

that's becuase the classic Mac "type and creator" model was removed in 10.6 - you NEED to use extensions.

You didn't explain how the pdf file got from the 10.6 mac to the 10.5 mac?

Also as pointed out you should be saving your files with .xxx extension and get in the habit of doing it.

The reason I ask the first question is there is another difference in how 10.6 writes resource forks to a server. On a 10.5 mac it will look like the generic icon you saw. But if it was another 10.6 mac it will look correct.

Good luck

p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back