Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrobat Preflight

Has anyone ever created a Custom Preflight? If so, using standard newspaper guidelines what profiles are OK to delete. Some come as errors every time. ie:
    GTS_PDF XVersion key missing
    OutputIntent missing
    PDF version newer than 1.3
    PDF/x label missing or incorrect
    Trapped key not true or false
    TrimBox or ArtBox missing

Re: Acrobat Preflight

Most of these preflight errors occur when non-PDFX files are supplied. To know which of these are important really depends on your workflow.
    Better train people and risk they leave - than do nothing and risk they stay.

Comment

We are direct-to-plate using Creo software. Also use something called Prinergy Evo. I'm not sure if these are the correct terms for the workflow.

Comment

You definitely should contact OneVision (www.onevision.com) to get the real preflight with normalization for your newspaper workflow. Most of the prime newspapers use their software Asura.
        Gerhard

Comment

Preflight and normalization are two entirely different things. I'm not sure that OneVision's tools are as thorough as what Callas produces. OneVision makes great software, there's no doubt about it. But it's not the only game in town.
          Matt Beals
          The views expressed here are my own personal views and are not those of my employer.

Comment

> {quote:title=sgravel wrote:}{quote}
            > Has anyone ever created a Custom Preflight? If so, using standard newspaper guidelines what profiles are OK to delete. Some come as errors every time. ie:
            > GTS_PDF XVersion key missing

You don't care. Since this is not a PDF/X file, there shouldn't be a tag saying what PDF/X version it is.

> OutputIntent missing

You probably don't care. The Output Intent is a way for the creator of the PDF to let you know how they were expecting the final to be produced. Again, since this is not a PDF/X file I wouldn't expect an Output Intent to be present.

> PDF version newer than 1.3

PDF/X-1(a) MUST be PDF version 1.3. If the PDF is built to a newer version transparency could be present.

> PDF/x label missing or incorrect

Duh. It's not a PDF/X.

> Trapped key not true or false

You probably don't care. Generally the files will come to you untrapped. Prinergy is going to trap your files (I'm assuming your workflow is set up to trap), and you may even have it set up to ignore any trapping present in incoming files.

> TrimBox or ArtBox missing

The PDF was most likely made from a Quark file. Quark STILL doesn't get this right. Anyway, you don't care.

Building your own preflight is not tough. You just need to identify what's important to you. Here's a link to a nice document from our friends at Callas:

http://www.pdfxreport.com/downloads/...DFX_checks.pdf

rich

Comment

Well hold on there partner...

A PDF/X-1a is not just "PDF/X-1a". It is either PDF/X-1a:2001 or it is
              PDF/X-1a:2003. In the case of :2001 then yes it must be PDF v1.3. For it
              to be a valid :2003 then it must be PDF v1.3 OR PDF v1.4. The :2003
              update was mostly to support Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4). All those extra
              "features" are still verboten.

PDF/X-4 is the only PDF/X standard that allows for "live" transparency.

In this case since you are using Acrobat Pro to preflight the PDF just
              turn off the PDF/X checks in the newsprint preflight profile you are using.

Matt Beals
              Consultant
              Enfocus Certified Trainer
              Markzware Recognized Trainer
              (206) 201-2320 - Main
              (720) 367-3869 - eFax
              mailto:matt@mattbeals.com

Come visit me at:

http://www.automatetheworkflow.com
              http://www.mattbeals.com
              http://forums.mattbeals.com

Friends don't let friends write HTML email
              Matt Beals
              The views expressed here are my own personal views and are not those of my employer.

Comment

Thanks again all!!

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
                Standard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph Expo4 PeesLabelexpoKBAKBA4OverSmartsoft (Presswise)

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5574 users online. 92 members and 5482 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                X