ACROBAT - "Fix Hairlines" - adds a stroke to EVERYTHING! Why?

SIMON C

Hi there,

We have a job that has "millions" of tiny thin lines that output as broken lines. So I need to thicken them up. I thought I'd try the "Fix Hairlines" option in the "Print Production" menu. This does the trick, but it also adds a stroke to everything else that has NO stroke. All I want is to tell Acrobat to thicken strokes that ALREADY exist and not introduce new ones! This affecting Outlined text which we don't want. I have also tried Enfocus PitStop and this does the same.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance

Simon

Re: ACROBAT - "Fix Hairlines" - adds a stroke to EVERYTHING! Why?

Try Callas pdfCorrect and see if it does it. Really though it sounds like everything does have a stroke. In which case the strokes will be "fattened up". So you'll have to be more granular in your selections of what you want to be fattened up. It is more tedious but the right way to go.

Speaking of hairlines, I have noticed often when there are .25pt minimal lines in a Illustrator file, after PDF is created these rules tends to end up thinner and gets flag during preflight stage.

Any idea Matt?

Did you try to "fix" the hairlines in the RIP - rather in an application?
Usually the RIP will have a minimum line width warning/repair.

MSD

If the objects have a fill and a hairline stroke you still end up with the same problem. You can't just say "thicken hairlines". you have to be specific with which hairlines you want to select and fix.

Matt Beals
(206) 618-2537

Sent from my Treo 680

Hi, using OneVision's Speedflow Check it will be quite easy to increase the thickness of hairlines according to your wishes but it will not increase lines without values (there is a checker box to avoid this).
Get a demo from www.onevision.com
Regards,
Gerhard

EskoArtwork's PackEdge, http://www.esko.com/web/site.aspx?p=199, editing software has a "select by attribute" feature which would allow you to select your lines by multiple categories - length, thickness, stroke, color etc.. - and then apply any changes across all the selected items. I know a company that does map printing to which this is an invaluable asset. - peter

PitStop 7 has a "Select Similar Items" tool and interface, too.

rich

Select similar is a good way to do it. It can be a bit tedious depending on how many different times you have to do it. In that case I would use an action list to make multiple selections and then change them all.

I would agree it can be teidious, but get the result you need. Yes amke an action list that incorporates the different line values if there are any first then run that action to see if it works for you.

Of course PitStop is the answer.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back