Dashed lines in Illustrator CS5

Macmann

Anyone know how to make dashed lines appear dashed in the Outline view. Our plotter
will recognize the dashed line as a perf (or a score) and apply the appropriate cutter to
complete the finished piece. Unfortunately we are forced to do a number of work arounds
to accomplish this now. Any ideas?

Object expand didn't work for me- a short dash and then a line then a short dash again _ _________________________ _

Outline stroke creates little rectangles- I need dashed lines. Oh well.

I wrote David Blatner, the Adobe guru, and he was stumped too.

Macmann

How about if you make a pattern brush and then expand will that work? (The expand appearance does some funny stuff with dashed lines, shows what is happening behind scenes with the corner alignment )
The thing is that you will have to make the pattern a "dot_space-long-space-short" dash since tha pattern a can not srart or end with a space. Then expand as Luc said ;)

Pattern Brush

Pattern Brush

Lukas-
Great minds think alike! I created a pattern of 2 line segments, equal in length. I stroked
one with 1pt black and left the other un-stroked. I "painted" my line with the pattern and then
chose expand appearance. I then selected an un-stroked segment and chose select similar
stroke weight, and delete. Now in outline mode I have a perfectly dashed line.
Now, if only I could explain the concept of bleed to a designer. Thanks for all your help.
Macmann

Last time i had to explain bleed I used the analogy of sewing. Turn your T-shirt inside out and explain how the seams can't be at the edge..

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back