Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe CS3 - CS2 Leopard - JOY, Joy, joy....oh crap

So, imho, Acrobat 8 is not ready for prime time. However, I was stupid
    enough to put it on 6 new macs running Leopard.
    Now, I want to take Acrobat 8 off only and put on 7.
    After three hours of my life being wasted I have just given up. I will put
    up with Acrobat 8 I guess.
    I have done everything Adobe wanted. I even deactivated and uninstalled
    every single CS3 thing known to man. I ran their script. Nothing.
    I put in CS2 install disk and it has Acrobat 7 grayed out.
    Adobe, are you listening?
    This is the kind of crap that made thousands of us jump from Quark
    five years ago. They seem to have gotten the message.
    Why in the world would an uninstall NOT uninstall??

Re: Adobe CS3 - CS2 Leopard - JOY, Joy, joy....oh crap

We had a similar issue with Tiger, the only way we could resolve it was to create a new user on the mac and install to that new user.

Hope it helps.
    Better train people and risk they leave - than do nothing and risk they stay.

Comment

I wondered about that.
      BTW, let me point out something about Time Machine.
      After de-installing all of the adobe products I figured I would
      just go to TM and bring back the machine in its state from yesterday at
      2pm.
      OK, so you restart with the dvd. Not an issue. You tell it to bring it
      back to 2pm. Fine.
      However, when you have it all back the CS3 has issues. It cannot find
      certain things EVEN though it was supposed to bring the HD back
      from where it stood at 2pm.
      Hmmm
      Oh, and BTW, Quark (joy of joy, my favorite..) came back just fine.
      Go figure

Comment

Acrobat 8 is a pox on mankind. (Not helpful but I feel better)
        Joe
        OS: Mac OS X 10.10.2 - RIP: Prinergy Connect 6.1 - CTP: Luscher XPose! 160 (2)

Comment

> {quote:title=kaiserwilhelm wrote:}{quote}
          > So, imho, Acrobat 8 is not ready for prime time.

Leopard is what is not ready for Primetime. As soon as Apple fixes Leopard with the 10.5.2 update Adobe can make the patches if they are needed. So far the 10.5.2 update contains almost 125 fixes and will weigh in around 450 MB Apples largest update so far.

Also keep in mind that Adobe will not be supporting CS2 or before under Leopard So Don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading. BTW Acrobat works fine in Tiger as does CS3 so its Leopard that is broken.

Comment

OK, so maybe it is 10.5.1 that is the issue.
            However, Acrobat 8 whether on 10.4 or 10.5 is a bloated piece of junk.
            No matter what, Adobe has no excuse for the crap the we are going through
            to uninstall / reinstall. Yes, I had the same issue on 10.4
            Give me a break. This is the kind of junk that Quark put us through in
            the past. You would think that Adobe would have their crap together.
            They DO have the greatest layout program around. (ID5). Why must
            I run a SCRIPT in Terminal to get stuff to delete?
            Honestly - will I be calling India for tech support soon? How about a 47
            digit key to type in? Adobe is heading that direction and they better start
            listening.
            (BTW, ever tried to print separations to a printer out of Acrobat 8? Well,
            if you had, whether out of .4 or .5, it sucks. A8 puts the pantone
            seps into CMYK - gee, thanks for that "improvement")

Comment

It's not just Acrobat 8, Illustrator CS3 is also giving me fits. It won't quit, I can't keep the swatches pallet in list view and now CS3 eps files won't import into either InDesign CS2 or CS3 at the correct size. If I re-save the eps's as either ai's or PDF's they import correctly tho. Force quit is my only option to quit and it's getting old.
              Anyone have a suggestions?

Not one suggestion? LOL I fixed it myself tho. Must have been some kind of a corrupt cache because all it took was a restart to single user mode and a fsck -fy run.

Edited by: almaink on Feb 8, 2008 2:05 PM

Comment

> {quote:title=kaiserwilhelm wrote:}{quote}
                > OK, so maybe it is 10.5.1 that is the issue.
                > However, Acrobat 8 whether on 10.4 or 10.5 is a bloated piece of junk.
                > No matter what, Adobe has no excuse for the crap the we are going through
                > to uninstall / reinstall. Yes, I had the same issue on 10.4
                > Give me a break. This is the kind of junk that Quark put us through in
                > the past. You would think that Adobe would have their crap together.
                > They DO have the greatest layout program around. (ID5). Why must
                > I run a SCRIPT in Terminal to get stuff to delete?
                > Honestly - will I be calling India for tech support soon? How about a 47
                > digit key to type in? Adobe is heading that direction and they better start
                > listening.
                > (BTW, ever tried to print separations to a printer out of Acrobat 8? Well,
                > if you had, whether out of .4 or .5, it sucks. A8 puts the pantone
                > seps into CMYK - gee, thanks for that "improvement")

Not to mention their ugly little plain icons! Thanks Adobe!

Agreed on Acrobat 8 though. There is no platform or OS version on the planet that makes it worth firing that beast up. I have both 7 and 8 on my machine but after I work in 7 for about 15 minutes the print dialog changes to the default OS X print dialog with no preview and no Advanced button and if you select a single page or range of pages to print it ignores you and prints the whole document. The only option is to close Acrobat and re-start to get the old Acrobat print dialog back. Never happened before I installed CS3 w/Acrobat 8. Thanks Adobe!

Plus when I try to update CS 3 the update hangs in the middle of it and never, ever finishes. I let it run for a whole weekend a few weeks ago and when I came back in on Monday it was still in the same spot. Tried all the obvious solutions. Fix permissions, clean caches, blah, blah, blah...nothing works. Thanks Adobe!

And you are also correct that this is how Quarks downfall started. Thanks Adobe!
                Joe

Comment

I will have to agree with Buko on this, I have been running the CS3 apps since they came out and had no issues on Tiger, but I have never installed 10.5x do not intend until these and other unknown issues that have not cropped up.

What happened to the days of testing first on ONE machine before committing all of prepress, I guess my age and "gun-shyness" is showing, but I have learned my lessons in the past and kind of find it amusing to see so many others go down the upgrade path so blindly.

Sorry, but maybe this will teach you for the next best OS upgrade.

Comment

> {quote:title=jbbbarr wrote:}{quote}
                    > I will have to agree with Buko on this, I have been running the CS3 apps since they came out and had no issues on Tiger, but I have never installed 10.5x do not intend until these and other unknown issues that have not cropped up.
                    >
                    > What happened to the days of testing first on ONE machine before committing all of prepress, I guess my age and "gun-shyness" is showing, but I have learned my lessons in the past and kind of find it amusing to see so many others go down the upgrade path so blindly.
                    >
                    > Sorry, but maybe this will teach you for the next best OS upgrade.

Who's not testing before putting it into production?I have a dual boot machine that runs Tiger and Leopard and the production is still done on Tiger. Actual production is still done in CS2 on Tiger also. CS3 runs better on the Leopard side for me than on the Tiger side. At least on the Leopard side I can do the CS3 updates.
                    Joe

Comment

I tested for two weeks.
                      The issue is that Adobe is going down the Quark path. On a 10.4 machine I had the same issue
                      with not being able to uninstall.
                      That is crap. That is Quark kind of stuff.
                      Seriously. I had to download a TERMINAL script and run that. Wow, will I have to login with
                      my Commodore 64 next?

Comment

Though it hasn't been posted as a downloadable file on Adobe's site yet, an update to Acrobat 8 Professional that brings the app up to v8.1.2 is available. To access it, go to the Help menu in Acrobat 8 Professional and choose "Check for Updates" and it should make itself known to you.

Allan Larson

Comment

> {quote:title=alarson wrote:}{quote}
                          > Though it hasn't been posted as a downloadable file on Adobe's site yet, an update to Acrobat 8 Professional that brings the app up to v8.1.2 is available. To access it, go to the Help menu in Acrobat 8 Professional and choose "Check for Updates" and it should make itself known to you.
                          >
                          > Allan Larson

Does it fix all of the problems? Including the horrendous interface?
                          Joe

Comment

> {quote:title=alarson wrote:}{quote}
                            > Though it hasn't been posted as a downloadable file on Adobe's site yet, an update to Acrobat 8 Professional that brings the app up to v8.1.2 is available. To access it, go to the Help menu in Acrobat 8 Professional and choose "Check for Updates" and it should make itself known to you.
                            >
                            > Allan Larson

And in the "par for the course" category I get this when trying to install the updates. (see attachment)

The only thing I've done concerning plug-ins is to install PitStop. So the updater won't work if you have Pitstop installed? It just gets better and better.

Edited by: Joe on Feb 6, 2008 1:25 PM
                            Joe

Comment

I feel your pain.

When I see those kind of messages, I hear the Price is Right tuba playing in my head when they lose the game.....

It may be a red herring, but run DiskUtility and repair preferences, because one of th plug-ins in there might have been installed as another user with only Read access and WHAMMO, no go.

Help control the pet population; have your Acrobat spayed or neutered.

Good luck!
                              Allan

Comment

UltimateDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)Standard FinishingKBA4Over
                              UltimateDuploStandard FinishingKBAKBA GTIChili publish4Over

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3783 users online. 87 members and 3696 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,151 at 11:36 AM on 11-17-2017.

Working...
                              X