InDesign Page Information - slug line

[email protected]

When printing a document that is smaller than about 4.75" (120mm), I find that the slug line drops off the media and pushes the page off-center. Does anyone have experience with this - or a way to fix/avoid it?
Example: a 4.5x6" ID doc. - media/page setup 5.5x8" - Bleed and Slug from Doc. Setup, T&B 1", L&R .5" - Include Slug Area is checked in Marks and Bleed section of print dialog. Thanks for any insight/comments you may have.
-Dan

Re: InDesign Page Information - slug line

I think if you actually have a slug in your layout with page number, filename and color information, you can turn off Page Information in the "Marks" of the Print dialog. It happens to us all the time and can make imposition a problem because the trim area is not centered and turning off Page Information is how we get around it.

What version of Creative Suites are you using? I know this was an issue with CS2 but thought it was corrected in CS3.

Nope, it still shifts off center if Page Information is checked in CS3.

Currently using CS3 but saw the same behavior in CS2.
So it's not just me then. . .
I did a quick search around Adobe's website and didn't find it listed as a problem. Will keep looking, thanks for the replies.
-Dan

We have the same problem too. It's a pain because we like to see the job name and page number on all our lasers of each page. The problem seems to be inconsistent. Some pages will come out centered up and down and some not. The larger the page the less likely you are to notice a slight shift in the impo. It's defiantly a bug, because I select "centered" for the page position in the print dialog box and the page doesn't alway come out centered.

This is a confirmed issue that I reported during the Beta testing of InDesign CS3. Unfortunately it was too late to get fixed for release. Hopefully it will get fixed in the next release of InDesign.

If you want to make sure you get your word in about this and so it goes higher on the list of fixes. Then submit your bug report on this web page. http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=68

By the way, the exact size when the Page Information marks slide is 334pt (4.638 inches). If your document is 335pt then the Page Information is fine.

Note that in the document set up dialog the slug area has four input fields. By making the value for oposite sides equal, the slug area can be set symetrically arround the page. At an appropriate size this will create a bounding box that encompasses the page information, and the page will be centered in that bounding box, and all will be well with Preps.

Al

That will certainly work as advertised, but it's a lot more work that just entering numbers in the slug field of the document set up dialog for a symmetrical slug area.

Al

If you download the fig11-13.mrk file and change the "outoffset" to a positive number(I use 12) and remove the
"Real World Adobe InDesign" type and save as a new marks file. All you have to do is make a preset using the
new marks instead of the "default" marks.
This can be used to make print or export pdfs presets.

I have my workflow set up with crop marx offset to .25 (you could make it larger to solve your issue) and do not add the page information.
Then I have the page information added to the lasers when printing the PDF from Acrobat.
After all, I would rather have the filename of my final PDF on the lasers rather than the file name of the InDy document.
I add "_PROOF" to all my lasers and would not want that as part of the RIP filename.
If you are not using a PDF workflow, that would be of no use to you.

MSD

Thanks, Tim (and David & Olav too!)
This is great. Still kind of ticks me off though that Adobe hasn't fixed this as a minor update to auto update InDesign. Likewise, it would be very convenient to have access to the default marks to duplicate/edit.
-Dan

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back