Illustrator CS2 - thin lines appearing in image when rotated

I have a problem with a job I have just ripped from AI CS2, the jobs has been saved as a PDF 1.4 then ripped in Nexus TotalRIP when I look at the separations I can see that the image has some thin lines running through it which I normally associate as a problem with transparency, I could also see these thin line in acrobat before I ripped the job. I have checked the file over can find no problem with transparency however the image was rotated if I change the rotation back to 0 the file rips fine.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Re: Illustrator CS2 - thin lines appearing in image when rotated

Try embedding the CT in Illy before writing the PDF. That works for us.

I had this problem last week.

Embedding the images within the Illustrator file solves the problem. Just saving the Illustrator file as an Illustrator EPS also solves the problem.

Cheers,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

embedding the images is not a option as we have to supply files out with linked images, just done some tests with CS3 and it works, looks like we will have to upgrade

is the image in question a psd? is there any transparent areas in it if it is? this could cause the stitching

what i'd do to check: open offending image in photoshop, flatten, save as eps with new name - import and position, delete old offending file and go from there

also, if someone at some point applied a drop shadow to the image (say - by mistake) then set all settings to 0 - basically so no shadow would show - there could still a transparency instance - which could again cause the stitching

is there a stray element with a spot colour in it - lurking somewhere beneath all of this? that could cause the stitching.

if all that fails, and you say you CAN rip correctly an image that isn't rotated in illustrator - rotate the image in photoshop and re-import so it doesn't get rotated in illy - then see where you go

good luck

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back