Adobe Font Equivalent

kaiserwilhelm

Is there an equivalent Adobe Font for Zapf Dingbats? Not necessarily every glyph....just the Q - which is a white square with a black shadow around it to the right and bottom?
The crux of the matter is this - Zapf will NOT embed. As such, it is giving my GMC Inspire Native Import fits. If I could just hit a key combination in, say, another Adobe font, it would make life SO much easier!

I'm guessing a sub set embed won't work with it either? Try converting it to outlines, as I don't think you will find that character in any other font. The postscript version will embed, but you would need to buy it...

Arial unicode has the character if i understand correct. Apple also has some other alternatives, but Arial Unicode I think you can download for free. The glyph is called "LOWER RIGHT DROP-SHADOWED WHITE SQUARE"

Screen shot 2012-02-13 at 21.25.02.png

ITC Zapf Dingbats Std is the Adobe font you are looking for. There is a Dingbats or Wingdings equivalent of that.

<duck> I heard if you google "fontname.otf" or "fontname.ttf" you will many times find a font instantly. (hint: use the quotes " " around the name and file extension) </duck>

I own its zapf dingbats. It will not embed. It subsets. (Acrobat Pro - File - Properties - Fonts).

ITC Zapf Dingbats STD from Adobe, an OpenType CFF font, allows for “Preview and Print” embedding based upon the permissions in the font. This has always been the case with this particular font.

Normally and by default, Adobe products do subset embed fonts. This has nothing to do with the embedding permissions of the font.

- Dov

Dov - I was using a non adobe pdf. As soon as I went to the zapf.ps, everything got better.
Can you tell me another thing? When I have a perfectly good Adobe PS font and use the normal characters, everything embeds. If I option 8 (the round bullet character) suddenly it shows up in Acrobat as Subset. This happens with any font that I use. There must be something about the option 8 character?

To answer the other questions - I need these to NOT subset. When I import them into another program, they show up with crazy names - xhjy-zapf dingbats, jfwq-Helvetica, etc
This is why I do not convert to outlines. I need that font to make it into my next program.

Now that I have zapf under control, I am down to the Option 8 issue only.

(As of PDF v1.5 .... technically before but with some caveats) there is meta data (i.e., /FontDescriptor) that travels along with the /Font providing the information you're missing. Sounds like the PDF reading application you're using isn't fully utilizing this data.

see also: PDF Spec v1.6, p391 and 426+

Last edited:
Indesign CS 5.5
I have Subset Fonts at ZERO.
Scenario 1 - If I have fonts that do NOT use Option 8 and do NOT use the TT version of Zapf, then when I Command D in Acrobat Professional I get ALL EMBEDDED
Scenario 2 - If I have fonts that DO use Option 8 (Bullet) and do use the TT version of Zapf, then when I Command D in Acrobat Professional I get subset on the Zapf and subset on the font that used the Bullet font. *(Even if it is an Adobe Font)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back