Creative Cloud opinions please.

FlexoGrunt

Happy Friday!

Adobe has offered us the cheap bait of $29 a month to sign up for their Creative Cloud (all the apps). Before I take the plunge it'd be great to hear what other think that are using it. the other thread kind of got off topic a little .

I plan on switching us over to the subscription based Creative Cloud when we order new Macs. I'm holding out on buying new workstations until after WWDC next week.

It's painless to use (i.e. downloads / registration / updates), but I'm at a loss really to see how it's anything to do with cloud based computing. It seems just like a subscription to keep your licenses up to date instead of paying for your update all in one lump.

There's also a whole truck load of useless (to us) software that we could use if we wanted to.

The first year is cheap enough, but after that I guess it boils down to how up to date you need to keep your software. We need at least one seat always on the latest & greatest, & I think it works out OK for that.

There is one thing that is pretty obvious with the whole that 'new stuff'. They (Adobe) will collect more money. That is the main goal.

I agree, there is nothing cloud about this. Adobe is using the wrong terms to lure customers. I'm guessing they don't like the word "subscription" because it makes their product look cheap???

Nevertheless, considering Adobe's full product upgrade cycle is around 18-24-months, it's a great deal for educators I think. I'm not convince this is great option for everyone else since a 2-yr subscription still comes out to $1200 and many of us in printing/publishing rarely needs to use anything else outside of the standard creative suite. Purchasing a full upgrades for a few hundred dollars is better than $1200 every 2-yrs.

I'm assuming that since it is a subscription, the software needs continuous access to Adobe's licensing server. What happens when they release 6.5 or 7? Can you "upgrade" and still continue to use 6.0 for jobs that need it? Or will Adobe stop allowing older versions to function once a new one is released?

In the traditional model, Adobe provides a license to install and use the software on 2 computers. I am guessing that privilege does not apply to the subscription service, wherein the $29 (or $49 after your first year of upgrade pricing) will pay for a single computer's license. Maybe I am wrong.

I'm assuming that since it is a subscription, the software needs continuous access to Adobe's licensing server. What happens when they release 6.5 or 7? Can you "upgrade" and still continue to use 6.0 for jobs that need it? Or will Adobe stop allowing older versions to function once a new one is released?

From their website, it seems as though your software is automatically updated every time something new is released. I may be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

Which brings up another point: what happens when they release something that your computer can't handle for whatever reason. Have to run out and buy a new one? Or what if they release a buggy update? Oops, sorry, it's already in your computer.

<sarcasm>
I'll stick to my horse and buggy thank-you-very-much. That newfangled automobile runs on gasoline and that stuff is explosive plus it'll need oil changes, tires, parts and stuff.
</sarcasm>

really guys?

From their website, it seems as though your software is automatically updated every time something new is released. I may be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

Which brings up another point: what happens when they release something that your computer can't handle for whatever reason. Have to run out and buy a new one? Or what if they release a buggy update? Oops, sorry, it's already in your computer.

I'm curious bout this one as well. Then again it if it means we're more up to date with hardware as well.....

WIN-WIN!

In the traditional model, Adobe provides a license to install and use the software on 2 computers. I am guessing that privilege does not apply to the subscription service, wherein the $29 (or $49 after your first year of upgrade pricing) will pay for a single computer's license. Maybe I am wrong.

The Creative Cloud membership allows installation on two computers as well. So one price - two computers. Just like today.

As long as you maintain your subscription, you will get free upgrades.

YOU CHOOSE when to install an update and when not to. As for "uninstalling" or reverting, that's a question I don't now.

Can the two computers be running the software at the same time?

My reading of the license is no, it's intended so that you can be running your main (desktop) computer and your laptop, but not both at the same time. So, exactly the same as previously.

We are a small commercial print shop and have a few licenses of CS Design Standard for our prepress department.

If I switch to the subscription based service, can I keep using older versions of InDesign to open customer files? As in: CS7 gets released, I update to CS7; can I still use CS6 as well? Or does installing the new version completely uninstall/disable the previous version?

If I switch to the subscription based service, can I keep using older versions of InDesign to open customer files? As in: CS7 gets released, I update to CS7; can I still use CS6 as well? Or does installing the new version completely uninstall/disable the previous version?

Older versions will be uninstalled as they are updated in the subscription model.

Doest that apply to versions installed prior to the Cloud subscription?

Limiting customers in this way sounds like a problem waiting to happen. Adobe may regret this at a future date.

Al

Older versions will be uninstalled as they are updated in the subscription model.

Ouch. I hear the alarm bells sounding.. We use older versions to help us open some files that the newer ones struggle with.

I can just see it now:

CS7 (or 8) is pushed to subscribers and the older version is removed. People can no longer open old files (AI 8 / Freehand) and threaten to raze the headquarters. Adobe's response would be "Well, if you had read item 57 subsection L of your ELUA you would've known this was coming. This only thing you can do is use this service bureau (started by an Adobe offshoot) to convert them for you........"

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back