Quick solution to a scary PDF mess? ...help...

Re: Quick solution to a scary PDF mess? ...help...

Let's just give the guy a break. It really does seem that, after 2 decades of computer layout, people still can't get it right and we in the prepress field are left to clean up the messes. Sales people don't want us to educate the customer for fear that they'll take offense and go elsewhere, so the problems never get resolved. The production supervisors and bosses don't care what the problem is, they just want it fixed so the presses can keep running. They expect us to solve the problem as fast as possible so if we need to be creative, than that is what we have to do. Many shops don't want to spend the money for new software or just don't understand the importance. So if all you have is Illustrator and you think you can use it to fix the problem, then that is what you have to do. Why are we picking on him for doing what he has to do to get the job done? Of course, having Pitstop would be preferable, so would having the fastest machine, and the best RIP, and educated clients that do it right. In a perfect world!!! I thought these forums where here to support fellow peers, not put them down for doing the best they can with what they have.

As for the problem at hand, why not import the files that need to be changed into InDesign and create masters and sections to update the incorrect areas. It sounds like there are a lot of pages and this would apply the sequences automatically.

Greetings all. You've all given answers to the problem as i would so i wont repeat them but i will reply to a few comments.

1 Quite imposing is a god send - especially to us lowly repro operators who don't have rips that are any good at imposition, also for large format work, much more reliable for imposing and editing crops and bleeds.

2 When i have a customer send me a pdf for a banner in the wrong size and too close to the edge or with no bleeds etc., i have found no better tool for correcting PDFs created from any application. Especially when the customer cant follow simple instruction or has no access to an original file. With the latest versions i have found no trouble with colour management.

3 Why not educate your customers? I find that by teaching my customers how to use software and how to setup docs for print i waste much less time fixing their mistakes, i fit more jobs into my working day and generate more cash for my bosses that i would if i had to spend an hour correcting artwork. Also i have found that teaching your customers also generates more good will, more work and more customers. (also nice presents at christmas)

I have to admit I'm shocked at the number of posts who argue the use of Ilustrator to "fix" a pdf. As Leonard and Dov posted, it is not a pdf editing tool. Illustrator will warn you of potential problems upon opening. Font substitution, line breaks, outlining, etc, etc. I'm wondering how many "fixed" pdfs resulted in rejection/reruns. I can understand the point if it's for 500 digital copies for a one-time customer. However, a "$400/hour press sitting idle" should certainly not be with a previously OK' d proof. If it is, it should be billed out as such. Anyway, enough ranting.

As several previous posts stated, Quite Imposing is a great package for the money. Don't let their less-than-Mickey Mouse website discourage you. The software is (with a few quirks every now and then) excellent. They too, have a trial version you can download before purchasing. Would recommend it highly. I've been using it for maybe 10 years now. Much more than just imposition. Lots of tools than can help backtrack with the problem.
In your case, backtrack, you'll have to use Quite Imposing Plus, not just the standard version.

On another note, I'll have to agree with Edd:

3 Why not educate your customers? I find that by teaching my customers how to use software and how to setup docs for print i waste much less time fixing their mistakes, i fit more jobs into my working day and generate more cash for my bosses that i would if i had to spend an hour correcting artwork. Also i have found that teaching your customers also generates more good will, more work and more customers.

I used to just fix the files and bill them for it. Much more good will by teaching them and much more time for other things.

BTW,
Loved the Kinko's comment. You mean they actually know how to use Illustrator?

I kinda like the placing the PDF in InDesing solution and the adding the page numbers on the master page. I've used this method before and it seems to work pretty well. Yould download the script "Multipage PDF Import" from adobe's website. It's works pretty slick for placing pdf's in InDesign.

I did a search for this Multipage PDF Import on Adobe's site but came up with nothing. Is it still available?

Thanks.
Will

Changing chapter nos. is like touching x-ray instead of joining the bone. One should first analyse why chapter nos. changed? Is there any other element on the page which has changed but skipped our attention?

We are very frequently using Illustrator for doing VERY minor corrections in the PDF. For major/slightly more corrections, we always prefer to make corrections in the original file and generate a fresh PDF. Asking open file from the customer, with exactly the same font files he has used in the file, is the best option.

Thanks

Bimal Kapur

Edited by: Bimal Kapur on Mar 26, 2008 1:54 PM

Changing chapter nos. is like touching x-ray instead of joining the bone. One should first analyse why chapter nos. changed? Is there any other element on the page which has changed but skipped our attention?

We are very frequently using Illustrator for doing VERY minor corrections in the PDF. For major/slightly more corrections, we always prefer to make corrections in the original file and generate a fresh PDF. Asking open file from the customer, with exactly the same font files he has used in the file, is the best option.

Thanks

Bimal Kapur

Edited by: Bimal Kapur on Mar 26, 2008 1:56 PM

> {quote:title=Will Prep wrote:}{quote}
> I did a search for this Multipage PDF Import on Adobe's site but came up with nothing. Is it still available?
>
> Thanks.
> Will

I believe I found this one on the installations CD's. I'll email it to you if you like. Come through handy quite a bit.

I'm using CS2 still though.

Try searching PDFplacer, if not on Adobe's website, then Google. That's the
one I use because it has a few extra import options that come in handy.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back