converting illy files from RGB to black only

upekkha

I have a few customers who create art in illustrator as RGB black

But, I have never written a script and would like to understand how i might pull about 100 (this time) line drawings into illy and convert the rich black stuff to K.

Re: converting illy files from RGB to black only

If you are talking about RGB Black /0/0/0) you can use Acrobats Color Conversion tool using the option "Preserve Black Objects". If you have to perform this action more often, you can create a Preflight Fixup that carries out this type of conversion on a simple click of the button.

If you also need to convert RGB grays (value of R=G=B) you have to use 3rd party products like already mentioned. callas pdfToolbox (Plug-in or Server) being also a great tool when it comes to easy color conversion.

Regards,
Peter

I have a question regarding "black" as well.

When taking in a Word file into my shop that will print CMYK on press I typically save the doc. as a
.ps file and bring into Indesign or Quark to eventually RIP and print. However when I do this all the black text is a
CMYK profile instead of 100% black. How can I keep the text 100% black and also print the color in the doc.
CMYK. I have been told that Pitstop will allow me to edit the file to achieve this. I currently do not have Pitstop,
Is there a way I can do this in Acrobat?

Thank you in advance

Acrobat 8 professional does an excellent job of this. You do not need Pitstop just for this.

Al

Al,

you are right when it comes to RGB Black. But the conversion of Acrobat fails when it comes to RGB Gray - this will always end up separated to CMYK.

callas pdfToolbox 3 (and other ) can also handle such RGB grays to convert them to Black only. pdfToolbox even recognizes RGB Gray images and converts them to black only.

Regards,

Peter

Peter,

There are also some tools available to create YOUR devicelink profile and use it with PDF ToolBox 3 from Calls or PDF Enhancer from Apago. We have such tool called PerfX Device Linker™ and allows to preserve many specific color attributes such as RGB Gray convert to Black shades.

DeviceLink also allows to change the black generation for different ink coverage and black separation type like UCR and GCR.

Louis Dery
TGLC inc.
www.tglc.com

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back