[black] printing in color!!

jonkovach

Hi,

I am printing through Onyx RIP, from various Adobe applications.
I am finding that when people spec the [black] color in InDesign, Illustrator, what have you.... that a lot of times when it prints on my HPs (5500 and z6100).... they are changing to colors.
I can turn the spot color table off and it prints black, but then all my other spot colors/Pantones are out of whack.

Does anyone know why this is happening (I'm assuming it's a confusion with the name...) and/or more importantly, how I can fix it? Is there a way to set [black] to always export out of Adobe as 100% black?

Thanks,
Jon

Re: [black] printing in color!!

this seems like a slam-dunk...
InDesign and Illustrator CS2 and up: Preferences/Appearance of Black/On Screen-Display All Blacks Accurately...Printing/Exporting-Output All Blacks Accurately
hope this helps...

That was it.
I also had to check off the Overprint [black] setting, which is in the same dialog box.

As an FYI: the "On Screen" and "Printing / Exporting" are application settings that effect any document that you view, print, or export from this one computer. I always change the Screen and Printing / Exporting on every computer I use at work. This should default to Black instead of Rich Black.

The "Overprint [Black] at Swatch at 100%" is a document setting and will be saved in the document. Thus, any where you take this document, this setting will effect it.

There are a lot of people who like this feature so small text set to 100% [Black] will overprint the background, I don't have problems with this. The problem I do have is a big 100% [Black] box slightly sitting on top of a picture or other colored box. I then see the object from below, through the [Black] box when printed on Press. When I uncheck it, the type will knockout the background, but my RIP will trap the type pulling in the background from behind creating an overprint anyway. So I don't see a need to have this feature on by default.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back