CS3 shows different size than CS2

pp411

Odd thing happening:
I have a file saved in CS2; the art, which is just a dieline, has a size of 10.1261x7.5. This is the correct size. However, when I open this file up in CS3, it shows a size of 10.14x7.5139. The difference is small, .0139, however it's enough of a difference to be a concern. And this happens not only with this file, but others as well. Has anyone encountered this? I tried reinstalling CS3, but the problem persists. I originally thought maybe this was an Illustrator CS3 problem, however I opened the file up on our two other computers with CS3, and their's show the correct size.

Help!

Re: CS3 shows different size than CS2

Have you checked your stroke preferences in the pallet for measurement in both applications? I have had this problem in the past. Look at the "align stroke" in the stroke pallet section and make sure you are measuring with the same parameters in both apps.

The stroke alignment setting will affect how the stroke aligns to the path, and you probably do not want to change it, otherwise the stroke's path will be modified when the document is printed or exported, and your die will be made incorrectly. PDF or Postscript strokes always align to the center of the path, so if you aligned a 1 point stroke to the inside, Indesign will make the path 1 point smaller when exporting or printing.

In the context menu of the control palette, make sure "dimensions include stroke weight" is deselected in both applications. The numbers should then match if you open the same file in each application. I'd bet this is it, because the size difference you mentioned is exactly 1 point rounded to the nearest ten-thousandth. For die-lines, you should always have this option deselected, because the stroke weights of your lines are of no consequence to the final result - the die will align to the center of the stroke, unless the die maker is insane and has a lot of free time.

Edited by: Kyle Faucett on Mar 31, 2008 6:37 PM

Kyle,
Where are you finding this setting? The closest I can find is "Use Preview Bounds" in the General Preferences. I'm on a Mac running CS3 under Tiger, if any of that makes a difference.

From InDesign Help
In the Transform or Control panel menu, do one of the following:
Select Dimensions Include Stroke Weight when you want panel measurements to represent the outer edge of an object’s stroke. For example, if one frame is 2 points shorter than the other, but the shorter frame’s stroke is 2 points thicker, this setting will cause both frames to display the same height values in the Transform and Control panels.
Deselect Dimensions Include Stroke Weight when you want the panel measurements to represent an object’s path or frame regardless of its stroke weight. For example, two frames of the same height will display the same height values in the Transform and Control panels, regardless of differences in their stroke weights.

Hope that helps.

Perfect! Who knew something simple as strokes could be such a learning experience :).

Thanks everyone!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back