(Major) Illustrator CC Issues

Hopkins Printing

Hi all,

Just finished installing Illustrator CC onto an Intel MacPro with 10GB of memory, SSD drive, and Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Something as simple as moving a box takes approximately 20 seconds or longer to complete once I let go of the mouse (sometimes it won't show the change unless I click elsewhere on the page). Another issue just discovered is that Illustrator CC won't quit. I have to force close it.

I've rebooted, repaired disk permissions and the like and so far no luck. Certainly, this can't be right. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA,
hp

Hi all,

Just finished installing Illustrator CC onto an Intel MacPro with 10GB of memory, SSD drive, and Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Something as simple as moving a box takes approximately 20 seconds or longer to complete once I let go of the mouse (sometimes it won't show the change unless I click elsewhere on the page). Another issue just discovered is that Illustrator CC won't quit. I have to force close it.

I've rebooted, repaired disk permissions and the like and so far no luck. Certainly, this can't be right. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA,
hp

I have a Mini 2012, SSD and 16GB RAM running Mavericks. It works great. No issues at all for about a month. But I have seen crashing few times on my 2008 MacPro with SSD, 20GB RAM under Lion. My advice: Update old hardware. I don't think Adobe tests newest software on old hardware.

I have a Mini 2012, SSD and 16GB RAM running Mavericks. It works great. No issues at all for about a month. But I have seen crashing few times on my 2008 MacPro with SSD, 20GB RAM under Lion. My advice: Update old hardware. I don't think Adobe tests newest software on old hardware.

I don't understand. Don't the applications reside on your hard drive like any other program? the Cloud aspect is simply licensing and ease of upgrades...isn't that correct? Why would CC behave any differently if you were using CS before?

I don't understand. Don't the applications reside on your hard drive like any other program? the Cloud aspect is simply licensing and ease of upgrades...isn't that correct? Why would CC behave any differently if you were using CS before?

You are correct.

I would not use or bother with old MacPro for CC but in one instance I have to as I have my Hassy camera with Leaf digital back with firewire 400 running Capture One for tethering shooting.
All my other Macs are new and have no issues only on this Mac I have seen stability problems with Adobe CC.

hp, my experience has not been like yours. I was running Illy CC on a circa 2006 MacBook, 2GB RAM, under 10.6.8 and it ran fine. I'm now on a MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 10.8.4 and running without problems. Sounds like there is something else going on.

By the way, with the SSD, do you have Trim Enabler, or similar software, installed?

PROBLEM SOLVED!

The issue apparently stems from something to do with the Tahoma and Verdana fonts. The problem disappears by installing these fonts.

Best regards,
hp

Thanks for letting us know what solved it, that will be a great help since I guess you will not be the only one with the problem :)

That worked for me too! My Mac ran Illustrator real slow and another Mac in our department wouldn't launch at all.
Thanks from all of us at SpringDot!

If you read the forums on the Adobe website, it seems that Illustrator has more problems than any other CC program. Frequent crashes and slow behavior are commonly mentioned.

You might want to post your solution over there to potentially help other users.

If you read the forums on the Adobe website, it seems that Illustrator has more problems than any other CC program. Frequent crashes and slow behavior are commonly mentioned.

You might want to post your solution over there to potentially help other users.

IMHO Illustrator has been going downhill since v9, which was a real dog. There are of course lots of nice new features in later versions, however they have also come with greater system demands etc.

Stephen Marsh

Had the same issue, and yes, activating those fonts was the solution. Dropping them in the system fonts folder so they are always active has solved all the problems that we were having.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

The issue apparently stems from something to do with the Tahoma and Verdana fonts. The problem disappears by installing these fonts.

Best regards,
hp

I installed those fonts, and it did not help. According to Adobe, Illustrator CC is not supported under OSX 10.6.8, and can only run under 10.7 and higher, which is the reason why Illustrator CC will not run on our macs.

-Sev

I installed those fonts, and it did not help. According to Adobe, Illustrator CC is not supported under OSX 10.6.8, and can only run under 10.7 and higher, which is the reason why Illustrator CC will not run on our macs.

-Sev

While that is what adobe says . . . it runs fine on my old dual core running 10.68 . . . .:)

While that is what adobe says . . . it runs fine on my old dual core running 10.68 . . . .:)

Any ideas why it wont run on my MacMini? Im running 10.6.8, the Mac is a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, with 4 GB ram. InDesign CC runs fine, but Illustrator CC wont even start up.

-Sev

Any ideas why it wont run on my MacMini? Im running 10.6.8, the Mac is a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, with 4 GB ram. InDesign CC runs fine, but Illustrator CC wont even start up.

-Sev

Time for me to eat some crow!. I tried to install the font family of Tahoma and the font family of Verdana, and guess what. Illustrator CC now works! So Adobe might insist that it will not run under 10.6.8, but it does work.
Thanks for the solution of installing the fonts.

-Sev

I think Lion and Mountain Lion (10.7 and 10.8) are available again at the Apple Store, unless they changed their minds again. May be an upgrade of some sort will help, even if you can't go up to Mavericks for equipment reasons.

I think Lion and Mountain Lion (10.7 and 10.8) are available again at the Apple Store, unless they changed their minds again. May be an upgrade of some sort will help, even if you can't go up to Mavericks for equipment reasons.

We have three programs that will not run under anything higher than 10.6.8 (Preps 5.3, Nexus Manager 8.4 and Acrobat 6). The reason for Acrobat 6 is for using PitStop. However we have upgraded one Mac to Mavericks, running Parallels along with Snow Leopard Server, which we use to run those three apps. Soon my Mac will be upgraded to Mavericks as well.

-Sev

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back