Why does Illustrator CS3 delay for a long time before opening files?

pajdzn

Ever since I installed CS3 on my Intel Mac, OS10.4.1, I have been having problems opening files in Illustrator. They tend to take an enormous amount of time to open, if they open at all. I can take the same file and open it on my older Mac with CS2 but on my Intel Mac this problem persists. Any one have any ideas what may be causing this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by: Jeffrie Goltz on Apr 14, 2008 9:54 AM

Re: Why does Illustrator CS3 delay for a long time before opening files?

Well, you need to update your OS for one thing unless you forgot to type an extra "1". You should be on os 10.4.11. Also, make sure Illy is fully updated.
If you are good on updates, I would create a new user on your computer and see if you have the same problem with that user. It may be that your user account is corrupt.
Only other thing I can think of w/out knowing anything else about the comp is to make sure you don't have any old Adobe programs on your comp. If you do, I would suggest using the CS3 clean script from Adobe and reinstall. That should at least make sure you are running CS3 more or less optimally on your system.

I've experienced this annoyance on our brand new iMacs with Leopard and CS3 aswell,...maybe this is on the "to-do" list for Adobe?

This happens with both Illustrator CS3 and Photoshop CS3. It's been
an issue for some time, and one would hope that they fix the bug before
just releasing the next version.

-

Edited by: doubting_thomas on May 1, 2008 4:39 PM double post foolishness

> {quote:title=doubting_thomas wrote:}{quote}
> This happens with both Illustrator CS3 and Photoshop CS3. It's been
> an issue for some time, and one would hope that they fix the bug before
> just releasing the next version.

I have no doubt they won't be fixing anything in CS3 and they'll wait to address it in CS4...or CS5 maybe. If they would choose to fix anything in the current version of software they should start with Acrobat.

Haha! I skipped over Acrobat because I know what a sore
wound that is for you, Joe.

What program do you use for font management? We were having the same problem with Illy files taking forever to open & it turned out to be Preference for Suitcase Fusion in Illustrator.

In Illustrator, go to Preferences...Suitcase Fusion Auto-Activation Prefs...be sure the box for "Activate Fonts in Embedded Objects" is NOT checked. If this box is checked, Suitcase Fusion is searching all embedded or placed images to see if it needs to activate any fonts, which could take a long time depending on size & number of embedded objects.

We had this same issue when going to CS3 on our Tiger machines. Not only was Illustrator really slow but we were also getting memory errors when trying to do simple line drawings. We found that there is a plist file that keeps track of a lot of things you do in Illustrator and eventually it gets so bloated that it affects the performance of Illustrator. Maybe try the following.

- Quit Illustrator
- Locate the preference file: com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist which is located in the user preferences at username/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist
- Delete this file
- relaunch Illustrator and open a new file. This willregenerate this preference file.
- Once the preference file appears - "Get Info" (Highlight - Command-I) on the file.
- Change all the permissions to NO ACCESS on all levels
- Then Lock the file. The preference file should never get over 4k in size now. Locking and giving no access should prevent it from growing.

I hope this helps you. I know we struggled with this for weeks before finding this file. Some of them were MB's in size before we found this. It has taken care of all of our troubles.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back