Rich

Re: Mac CS2 Illustrator files won't display on windows machines

> {quote:title=richielj wrote:}{quote}
> Hi All
>
> We believe that a recent Windows XP update for Outlook 2003 makes
> files created on the mac in Photoshop and Illustrator (CS2) not show
> up when emailed to windows users.

Illustrator files must be saved with a TIFF preview to be used on Windows.
Once you choose EPS format, you will get a dialog to choose TIFF preview. By default it is Mac 8-bit Color.

Note the last time I tried to use vector EPS files in Microsoft programs, they did not use the PS part of EPS, only the preview was used even when printing.

> We have also considered creating a shared
> folder on a windows server and copying the files there --something we
> would prefer not to do as many of the windows users are inexperienced
> in dealing with file management.

That won't make a difference, it isn't the action attaching the file to an e-mail message, it is the format of the file. However I do think that using e-mail attachments is not a good idea in general.

> If there is a way to save an illustrator file with no preview that
> would be helpful.

Yep, same dialog, choose "None"

Chasd.

Hi Chas

We always use tiff previews with our ai/eps files because we live in a cross platform world here. The subject PC users all have ai for windoze installed on their machines and have been able to open/edit our files until a recent Windows "security" update prevented that. Uninstalling the update works until the next morning when microsoft wants to install the update once again...

I'm going to try the shared folder idea this morning as I have no choice but to solve this issue. I saved an eps file with no preview and emailed (yes, a necessary evil) to the primary ai user downstairs. No preview wasn't an option for .ai files saved down to v9 on my CS2 (mac). The vendors in asia prefer ai files in v9, but the windows users can always resave the eps to ai prior to forwarding the file (via email).

Thanks for reminding me about the no preview option for the eps format. I'll follow up with the results of the email and shared folder options.

Rich

> {quote:title=richielj wrote:}{quote}
> Hi Chas
>
> We always use tiff previews with our ai/eps files because we live in a cross platform world here.

I guess I don't fully understand your problem then.

>The subject PC users all have ai for windoze installed on their machines and have been able to open/edit our files until a recent Windows "security" update prevented that. Uninstalling the update works until the next morning when microsoft wants to install the update once again...

Three choices -
1)
Exclude that update from being installed
2)
Turn of automatic updates ( IMHO they cause more problems than they solve, as you are experiencing )
3)
Don't use Windows

> No preview wasn't an option for .ai files saved down to v9 on my CS2 (mac).

Previews are only saved in EPS files.
I am having a hard time understanding your problem with the information as you are presenting it.

Chasd.

Hi Chas

Our problem is caused by Windows and "security" updates for Outlook. Hi res jpeg files are also affected, and our workaround is to use "save for the web" in photoshop. There is no option but to let the automatic updates to run due to IT department policies. We tried uninstalling them on a couple of machines only to have them come back the next day... I work for a medium sized company with ~450 employees (98% of whom are on windows). The graphics department uses macs and we've been forced to adapt to a cross platform world. Indeed, we regularly create 300 page catalogs and work off a windows server --prepress as well as design. I personally hate all things microsoft...

Anyway, enough of my troubles... The shared folder on yet another windows server works perfectly to serve up illustrator files to a small handful of illustrator users on windows. The files will disappear after 30 days and so far everyone is happy. Now that it's Friday I'm happy too.

TGIF

Rich

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back