Object Crop Marks in InDesign

kansasquaker

Hi all-

Simple question here - I think. I though there was a way to place crop marks around objects in InDesign (like the filter in Illustrator) but I can't find it anywhere. I'm doing all these gang impos for a digital press and manually placing the crop marks is KILLING me! I've searched the help and InDesign Bible and haven't found anything. So am I crazy?

Thanks!

Re: Object Crop Marks in InDesign

Hi Kyle

Check out the built in scripts that Adobe ships with InDesign. In the Scripts palette under sample scripts there is an Applescript and a Javascript that will do just what you're looking for.

Shawn

I forgot to mention. The scripts come with the CS3 automatically, but you can install the CS2 versions from this link
http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/indesign/InDesign_Example_Scripts.zip

There's lots of great stuff here. Drop them into the InDesign folder in the Presets, Scripts folder. Then turn on the scripts palette in InDesign by going to the Window menu under Automation: Scripts.

You may also want to check out the Adobe Studio Exchange for more user created scripts.
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/

Shawn

I just wanted to post a quick thank you!!!

I've run into the same problems myself, and always just drew in the crop marks. I never knew about the Scripts window! I learned something today...

Thanks,
Jon

Something else to do as well is just export the files out of Indesign as "pdfs w/crops" then reimport them into indd on to the proper sheet for your gang run. Then you can just move the files around with crops fairly easily.

Thank you SO much Shawn. I stumbled on that script one day and said "I've got to remember this" a week later when I need it, I had totally forgotten. Anyway, you just save me a ton of time, so thanks again!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back