InDesign CS2 Export to PDF issues

almaink

I have a customer supplied InDesign CS3 PDF, 184 pages all black text. I impose into 32 page sheet wise signatures in Indy CS2 and it will not export to PDF. I get no real error just "File failed to export to PDF". I also tried just a few pages in CS2 at page size (6.5 x 9.5) and I get the same thing. Odd thing is it will export from CS3 and I also can export a Eps's from CS2 or write a postscript file and then distill. Just seems odd that it won't export. Did Adobe do something to CS3 PDF export to make those PDF's incompatible with earlier versions of Indy? I also tried dropping the PDF into CS and it just crashes when I attempt to export to PDF.

Re: InDesign CS2 Export to PDF issues

I have one workstation that will not export as well. I have reloaded all software but didnt seem to help. But I can print to PDF so on that station thats the way we get those CS2 files to pdf.

Thing is every other PDF I've gotten that was done in CS3 has no issues exporting from CS2, just this one file. I'm just praying it doesn't become a constant problem.

No, Adobe did nothing to make InDesign 5 exported PDF incompatible with InDesign 4. And there is probably nothing wrong at all with those PDF files. However, there were a number of bugs in PDF file export in InDesign 4 that were fixed in InDesign 5. You probably stumbled on one of those problems.

- Dov

> {quote:title=Dov Isaacs wrote:}{quote}
> No, Adobe did nothing to make InDesign 5 exported PDF incompatible with InDesign 4. And there is probably nothing wrong at all with those PDF files. However, there were a number of bugs in PDF file export in InDesign 4 that were fixed in InDesign 5. You probably stumbled on one of those problems.
>
> - Dov

But...I have fewer problems with InDesign 4 PDF's than with InDesign 5 PDF's. And should there not be a patch of some sort for ID 4 if there are known bugs? Not everyone in the world upgrades each and every version.

Right Joe, and another problem with CS3 is there is no longer OPI support for PDF's. My workflow with RAMpage needs that OPI support so I'm stuck with using CS2 for Impo when I need to also use OPI.

Exactly what problems are you referring to in terms of exported PDF from InDesign 5? We certainly aware of any significant problems with PDF exported from InDesign 5.

- Dov

InDesign certainly +does+ support OPI for exported PDFs. The option is very plainly visible in the InDesign 5 PDF export dialog. What makes you think otherwise?

- Dov

White boxes with black text changing to black box with black text. Makes it difficult to read the text.

Blending options done in InDesign missing on the PDF.

Stacking order of objects changing randomly. Had one Tuesday night with a black box with a photo on top of it in InDesign. The PDF came out with the black box on top of the photo.

Objects randomly missing from the PDF.

Rarely seen any of the problems listed with ID 4 PDF's, Mainly just ID 5 PDF's. In fact there are several times when I can't get a customer supplied ID 5 PDF to rip so I place it in ID 4 and export a new PDF and then it will rip. Go figure...

While I've got your attention, and this applies to at least ID 4 & 5, why does export PDF change grayscale photos to NChannel Spot black images on pages that contain transparency? I can't open the NChannel Spot black images in Photoshop from the PDF in Acrobat unless I convert them back to grayscale first. Why does it +think+ it needs to convert them in the first place?

I don't think it, I know it. I run a RAMpage system. Last month I had a CS3 process job that was 162 pages all containing transparency. I was told by RAMpage that it would be faster to trap these type of PDF's using the PDF Trap Engine if I put the PDF itself through first and created FPO's from RAMpage to impose then use OPI. I did all that only to find out that the OPI comment were being stripped out of the Imposed PDF by CS3. I had to call RAMpage support to find this out as I couldn't figure out WTF was going on. Yes the option for OPI is there in the export to PDF options but it no longer works for PDF only EPS from CS3. I was lucky I was able to export the job back yo CS2 so I could get it out but now after this last issue with CS3 PDF's I am really worried what I'm going to do when the next large book comes in done in CS3. Personally I don't like CS3 at all. I hate the new pallets and just about everything to do with the way Adobe changed the program from CS2. WTF doesn't Adobe listen to prepress operators before they go ahead and make changes like these? IMO Adobe's getting cocky just like Quark did. I wish another company would come out with a page layout program so Adobe would get their heads out of their rear-ends and get back with the program. Instead of releasing a new version every year, why not fix the issues with what they have?

An update to this CS3 PDF issue. If I run those CS3 PDF's through RAMpage first and make an FPO from them I can export those imposed FPO's from CS2 to PDF. So that solves my problem for the most part. Just a PITA to have to use FPO's for a single color 184 page book that doesn't contain transparency or need to be trapped. Imposing a multipage PDF in Indy is easier than selecting individual PDF fpo's for sure.

> {quote:title=Joe wrote:}{quote}
> While I've got your attention, and this applies to at least ID 4 & 5, why does export PDF change grayscale photos to NChannel Spot black images on pages that contain transparency? I can't open the NChannel Spot black images in Photoshop from the PDF in Acrobat unless I convert them back to grayscale first. Why does it +think+ it needs to convert them in the first place?

I believe this is a space saving function, Joe. I agree that it becomes problematic in our world. I'd like to see either this behavior done away with or at least a switch to disengage it. I understand Adobe's position. This kind of crossed purposes is bound to crop up for a platform that serves so many diverse purposes for so many people.

rich

> {quote:title=rich apollo wrote:}{quote}
> I believe this is a space saving function, Joe. I agree that it becomes problematic in our world. I'd like to see either this behavior done away with or at least a switch to disengage it. I understand Adobe's position. This kind of crossed purposes is bound to crop up for a platform that serves so many diverse purposes for so many people.
>
> rich

Or if Photoshop could open the NChannel spot black would help too.

According to my sources, nothing associated with OPI changed from InDesign 4 to InDesign 5. The passthrough of OPI from PDF, EPS, and/or bitmap image files is controlled from the Advanced pane of the Export PDF dialog. I've attached a PDF file of that screen.

Are you sure you are setting this option correctly (if at all)?

- Dov

And have you reported these problems to Adobe Technical Support? If so, I'd appreciate the case number(s) they provided to you for these issues.

- Dov

Dov, As I stated I've been using this workflow in InDesign CS2 for over a year now. I used the same settings in CS3 as I did in CS2 and it doesn't work in CS3. The OPI comments are stripped from the PDF when you export to PDF from CS3. BTW i had a few other people using other workflow's like DALiM TWiST try this and they too got no image in the resulting PDF in the rip as the OPI comments had been stripped. Like I said, I called Rampage and was told Adobe has changed the way OPI works in CS3. Maybe Adobe and these other companies need to converse more. BTW if I make the FPO an eps the OPI works. So in short OPI still works in CS3 but only if you use an eps FPO of the PDF.

I've discussed your issue with the InDesign development team. They are not currently aware of any problems of the type you describe. They believe that InDesign 5 in fact fixed some OPI problems that were present in InDesign 4.

We do believe you when you say you are encountering problems. But we would need to see some examples. Please package up some samples for us (labelled so that we know "what is what") and put them into a .ZIP file and e-mail them to me off-list. Please also provide full contact information. Our team will examine the files and try to figure out what is going on and will get back to you. OK?

- Dov

> {quote:title=Dov Isaacs wrote:}{quote}
> And have you reported these problems to Adobe Technical Support? If so, I'd appreciate the case number(s) they provided to you for these issues.
>
> - Dov

No I haven't. I'm just dealing with the PDF. My customers are the ones with the native applications that are creating the PDF. I have no idea if they have contacted Adobe support or not.

>We do believe you when you say you are encountering problems. But we would need to see some examples. Please package up some samples for us (labelled so that we know "what is what") and put them into a .ZIP file and e-mail them to me off-list. Please also provide full contact information. Our team will examine the files and try to figure out what is going on and will get back to you. OK?

Dov

Joe,

It isn't often that we have Dov taking this much interest in issues that affect us in prepress. I think it would be a good idea to help him delve into this. You can do this by contacting some of your customers, explaining that they are doing nothing wrong but could they help you in pursuing an issue in your workflow by providing the native files for one of the jobs you know to have had the problems that are the subject of this thread.

Al

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back