InDesign CS2 Export to PDF issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InDesign CS2 Export to PDF issues

I have a customer supplied InDesign CS3 PDF, 184 pages all black text. I impose into 32 page sheet wise signatures in Indy CS2 and it will not export to PDF. I get no real error just "File failed to export to PDF". I also tried just a few pages in CS2 at page size (6.5 x 9.5) and I get the same thing. Odd thing is it will export from CS3 and I also can export a Eps's from CS2 or write a postscript file and then distill. Just seems odd that it won't export. Did Adobe do something to CS3 PDF export to make those PDF's incompatible with earlier versions of Indy? I also tried dropping the PDF into CS and it just crashes when I attempt to export to PDF.

Re: InDesign CS2 Export to PDF issues

I have one workstation that will not export as well. I have reloaded all software but didnt seem to help. But I can print to PDF so on that station thats the way we get those CS2 files to pdf.

Comment

Thing is every other PDF I've gotten that was done in CS3 has no issues exporting from CS2, just this one file. I'm just praying it doesn't become a constant problem.

Comment

No, Adobe did nothing to make InDesign 5 exported PDF incompatible with InDesign 4. And there is probably nothing wrong at all with those PDF files. However, there were a number of bugs in PDF file export in InDesign 4 that were fixed in InDesign 5. You probably stumbled on one of those problems.

- Dov

Comment

Thanks Dov, I was beginning to worry.

Comment

> {quote:title=Dov Isaacs wrote:}{quote}
            > No, Adobe did nothing to make InDesign 5 exported PDF incompatible with InDesign 4. And there is probably nothing wrong at all with those PDF files. However, there were a number of bugs in PDF file export in InDesign 4 that were fixed in InDesign 5. You probably stumbled on one of those problems.
            >
            > - Dov

But...I have fewer problems with InDesign 4 PDF's than with InDesign 5 PDF's. And should there not be a patch of some sort for ID 4 if there are known bugs? Not everyone in the world upgrades each and every version.
            Joe
            OS: Mac OS X 10.10.2 - RIP: Prinergy Connect 6.1 - CTP: Luscher XPose! 160 (2)

Comment

Right Joe, and another problem with CS3 is there is no longer OPI support for PDF's. My workflow with RAMpage needs that OPI support so I'm stuck with using CS2 for Impo when I need to also use OPI.

Comment

Exactly what problems are you referring to in terms of exported PDF from InDesign 5? We certainly aware of any significant problems with PDF exported from InDesign 5.

- Dov

Comment

InDesign certainly +does+ support OPI for exported PDFs. The option is very plainly visible in the InDesign 5 PDF export dialog. What makes you think otherwise?

- Dov

Comment

White boxes with black text changing to black box with black text. Makes it difficult to read the text.

Blending options done in InDesign missing on the PDF.

Stacking order of objects changing randomly. Had one Tuesday night with a black box with a photo on top of it in InDesign. The PDF came out with the black box on top of the photo.

Objects randomly missing from the PDF.

Rarely seen any of the problems listed with ID 4 PDF's, Mainly just ID 5 PDF's. In fact there are several times when I can't get a customer supplied ID 5 PDF to rip so I place it in ID 4 and export a new PDF and then it will rip. Go figure...

While I've got your attention, and this applies to at least ID 4 & 5, why does export PDF change grayscale photos to NChannel Spot black images on pages that contain transparency? I can't open the NChannel Spot black images in Photoshop from the PDF in Acrobat unless I convert them back to grayscale first. Why does it +think+ it needs to convert them in the first place?
                    Joe

Comment

I don't think it, I know it. I run a RAMpage system. Last month I had a CS3 process job that was 162 pages all containing transparency. I was told by RAMpage that it would be faster to trap these type of PDF's using the PDF Trap Engine if I put the PDF itself through first and created FPO's from RAMpage to impose then use OPI. I did all that only to find out that the OPI comment were being stripped out of the Imposed PDF by CS3. I had to call RAMpage support to find this out as I couldn't figure out WTF was going on. Yes the option for OPI is there in the export to PDF options but it no longer works for PDF only EPS from CS3. I was lucky I was able to export the job back yo CS2 so I could get it out but now after this last issue with CS3 PDF's I am really worried what I'm going to do when the next large book comes in done in CS3. Personally I don't like CS3 at all. I hate the new pallets and just about everything to do with the way Adobe changed the program from CS2. WTF doesn't Adobe listen to prepress operators before they go ahead and make changes like these? IMO Adobe's getting cocky just like Quark did. I wish another company would come out with a page layout program so Adobe would get their heads out of their rear-ends and get back with the program. Instead of releasing a new version every year, why not fix the issues with what they have?

Comment

An update to this CS3 PDF issue. If I run those CS3 PDF's through RAMpage first and make an FPO from them I can export those imposed FPO's from CS2 to PDF. So that solves my problem for the most part. Just a PITA to have to use FPO's for a single color 184 page book that doesn't contain transparency or need to be trapped. Imposing a multipage PDF in Indy is easier than selecting individual PDF fpo's for sure.

Comment

> {quote:title=Joe wrote:}{quote}
                          > While I've got your attention, and this applies to at least ID 4 & 5, why does export PDF change grayscale photos to NChannel Spot black images on pages that contain transparency? I can't open the NChannel Spot black images in Photoshop from the PDF in Acrobat unless I convert them back to grayscale first. Why does it +think+ it needs to convert them in the first place?

I believe this is a space saving function, Joe. I agree that it becomes problematic in our world. I'd like to see either this behavior done away with or at least a switch to disengage it. I understand Adobe's position. This kind of crossed purposes is bound to crop up for a platform that serves so many diverse purposes for so many people.

rich

Comment

> {quote:title=rich apollo wrote:}{quote}
                            > I believe this is a space saving function, Joe. I agree that it becomes problematic in our world. I'd like to see either this behavior done away with or at least a switch to disengage it. I understand Adobe's position. This kind of crossed purposes is bound to crop up for a platform that serves so many diverse purposes for so many people.
                            >
                            > rich

Or if Photoshop could open the NChannel spot black would help too.
                            Joe

Comment

According to my sources, nothing associated with OPI changed from InDesign 4 to InDesign 5. The passthrough of OPI from PDF, EPS, and/or bitmap image files is controlled from the Advanced pane of the Export PDF dialog. I've attached a PDF file of that screen.

Are you sure you are setting this option correctly (if at all)?

- Dov

Comment

UltimateDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)Standard FinishingKBA4Over
                              UltimateDuploStandard FinishingKBAKBA GTIChili publish4Over

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4695 users online. 104 members and 4591 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,151 at 11:36 AM on 11-17-2017.

Working...
                              X