Creating a PMS Duotone in Illustrator

Pre-press X

Hello All,
Here is my issue I am trying to make a Duotone in Illustrator, like you can in Quark and InDesign, but can't figure it out.
Let's say for simplicity, I have a box I want to apply 2 pms colors to it.
can it be done?

I know I could make it out of C and K but need to show client a proof in colors.

Thanks,
Chris L

Edited by: Chris L on May 15, 2008 4:21 PM

Re: Creating a PMS Duotone in Illustrator

Pardon my dumb question...would having two boxes each assigned a different PMS with the top one set to overprint not work?

gordo

Not a dumb Q at all,
I did think of that also, but I'm just seeing if there is anything a bit more "cleaner for our rip" so when this comes back as a reprint that trick would not be overlooked by whomever.
But it just may come to that.
Anyone else?
Thanks Chris

Edited by: Chris L on May 15, 2008 5:02 PM

There isn't a way of producing mulitple spot colour mixes in Illustrator but it is possible to have 2 or more fills on one object which is marginally better than having fills on multiple objects. I have done this with a black gradient on a spot colour background, the gradient being set to multiply and the relevant settings set for preserving spot colour transparency. Doing it this way gives a WYSIWYG colour mix as opposed to one colour overprinting another.

Hi Alan,
Thanks for that it was helpful but we ended up just messing with the transparency a bit more and got it to work that way.
Thank You All
Chris L

Hi Chris,

I can't find it on the pantone web site anymore - but there used to be a wonderful Pantone Duotone Guide (Coated and UnCoated)

http://www.graphic-design.com/Waldron/duotones/Default.html

https://iweb.ppa.org/Purchase/ProductDetail.aspx?Product_code=PA0124

I really do not think - even while in Adobe Photoshop - that you can get an accurate simulation on screen of two spot colors and how they will interact.

the issue of predicting how two spot colors interact is clearly demonstrated in this fan book, and is invaluable to a designer working with duotones.

here is a nice (but old) article about using Photoshop and images...

http://designorati.com/articles/t1/...-building-duotones-with-the-proper-curves.php

hope this helps !

I think someone mentioned it already, but I do this quite often by applying two fills to the same box. Here is the how to if you're interested:

1. Make a box (or whatever) and give it a fill with whatever spot color you are using.

2. Under the *Appearance* palette, hit the menu arrow on the right and go to "Add New Fill"

3. You will then select your second color.

4. In the *Attributes* palette, check "Overprint Fill"

5. Then go under *"View"* in your menu bar and choose "Overprint Preview". You will then see the resulting duotone.

Good luck!

Edited by: preflight on Jun 11, 2008 9:51 AM

EskoArtwork has a plugin for Adobe Illustrator called BoostX. One of the tools in BoostX is called Ink Mix. Ink Mix makes it easy to assign more than one color to an object.
Ink Mix lets you create your own mix of job inks (including spot colors/pantones), at your chosen percentages of each ink, and then creates that mix as an available color swatch in your Ai color list. For more info http://www.esko.com/web/site.aspx?p=406 , click on "Read more about the boostX tools." for Ink Mix information.

Hi Chris,

Sorry to be both a bit late to the conversation and the blatant plug, but you may find our product, [Phantasm CS Designer / Studio|http://www.phantasmcs.com] to be of some help here.

The middle and high-end versions of this Illustrator plugin range (Mac and Windows, Ai CS to CS3) contains Duotone Filter and live Effect tools. Based on transparency masks it has the major advantage of being able to adjust curves for each channel, live previews, etc.

More details may be found at [http://www.phantasmcs.com/features/]

I hope this is of interest,

Nick

> {quote:title=Pre-press X wrote:}{quote}
> Hello All,
> Here is my issue I am trying to make a Duotone in Illustrator, like you can in Quark and InDesign, but can't figure it out.
> Let's say for simplicity, I have a box I want to apply 2 pms colors to it.
> can it be done?
>
> I know I could make it out of C and K but need to show client a proof in colors.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris L

Edited by: Nicholas van der Walle on Jun 24, 2008 4:08 PM

Hello,

Good Day

I have job having 7 Colors and I have been asked to done it in 5 Colors.

(1) Pantone 485CVC (RED)
(2) Pantone 356CVC (GREEN)
(3) Pantone 116CVC (YELLOW)
(4) Pantone 301CV (D-BLUE)
(5) Pantone 279C (L-BLUE)
(6) Pantone 732C (D-BROWN)
(7) Pantone 730C (L-BROWN)

I can use Red, Green and Yellow on separate screens where as remaining
“FOUR COLORS” are Dark Blue, Light Blue, Dark Brown and Light Brown.
Please guide me how I can finish the job in five colors as my boss advised
me to do it in duotone. The job is on Illustrator CS2 and Colors are PMS.

Please guide me how PMS Colors can be done in DUOTONE.

I have been working in filled of screen print for many years but unaware
about duotone in Illustrator.

I would sincerely grateful for your reply and Guidance.

With Best Regards

Ahmed Ali
[email protected]

In indesign, you can create and edit a color from two inks. Just cut and paste a box in Illustrator and that color will pop-up in your swatches and will be understood by any rip.

It appears this could be done a number of ways.. but maybe a simpler approach would be to draw the shape/object .. Open the swatch panel and then open the swatch libraries to pick your Pantone set Coated/Uncoated etc. then press CTRL+F9 to open the Gradient as well (might be tricky in CS3/4 depending on how your workspace is setup you will want both open at the same time "drag the tabs out") ... Press "G" on Keyboard for the Gradient tool. Grab and drag and drop the first Spot Color to the Gradient window @ 0% or 100%, then the same for the second. Then use your mouse to apply the gradient to the selected object, as you would in photoshop etc. I attached a zip of a video that quickly shows this.

Attachments

• PMS Duo.zip
    284.6 KB · Views: 229

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back