Convert PDF to Illustrator?

No, it didn't attach. The forum FAQ says not to do it by quick reply, but by new post. But I can't find how to do that.

Help any one?

Al

Here we are the next day, Wednesday late morning, and still no call back from Enfocus/Esko in response to my phone inquiry about their product!

You got to love the regional sales structure these folks use.

Al

To their (possessive case) credit, that regional sales call finally came!

As to if it can do what I described, there will be another call or email, and I'll report the answer here.
The price without trapping is $4,500. Much cheaper than the product from Greg's company, although their software can do it too, but at more than twice the price.

Al

Hey Al,

I feel your price comparison is a bit misleading. Neo is a single user PDF Editor. The solution I mentioned to you is a package that contains a PDF Editor and a separate server based hot folder solution. Our editor is not available standalone so it's not really appropriate to compare the price directly to Neo.

Greg

Greg,

Your point is well taken, and I had no intent to put you in a bad light. What I meant to bring out is that both would do what I need, but a a big price difference. That's all.

Again, thanks for stepping forward to offer your help.

Al

Easy BWR adjustment in layout application.

Easy BWR adjustment in layout application.

As mentioned earlier, I have been using a rather complex method to do a BWR adjustment to barcodes by stroking the outlined text in Illustrator and bringing it back in to Quark or InDesign, or into a pdf from one of these.

Well it turns out to be very easy and preferable to do it right in one of those applications by using the respective "convert to outlines" feature in either one and then applying the white stroke to reduce the bar width as needed.

Not only do you get to stay in the lay out application, but you benefit from their native quality display of the result. The roundtrip methods make use of some sort of low res preview and require careful repositioning of the imported result, while the native methods retain the original position flawlessly.

But the two applications stroke the bar vectors differently and require different treatment. InDesign uses a centerline stroke for each bar, while Quark produces the stroke with an outside aligned vector object surrounding the bar. Works, but seems like the hard way, and needs half the stroke width for the BWR adjustment compared to Indy. In both cases the numbers also get stroked, but these are just for the dumb humans and not for the intelligent barcode readers.

This is fast and free since it is already built into the layout application software. No expensive additional software needed.

Al

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back