DCS2.0 Files and Illustrator

RclSab

Hello,
I was just wondering if I could get a little help with an issue i am having.
I am working on a project in which the whole image will be printed in Spot colors and the nature of the image would require me to edit the art in Photoshop. So i have created a Multichannel image and saved it as a DCS 2.0 file. This image now has to be prepped for print and sent to China for printing. Our Vendor in China only accepts illustrator ai documents. When i link the DCS2.0 document in illustrator I get a message that says; " Linked DCS EPS files interacting with transparency will not print to separations accurately (host - based) or at all ( In - RIP). "
Is there another file format I can save my photoshop document as, and still maintain my spot channels? Or is there another way of importing this file into Illustrator that will work best? ( such as creating an EPS out of INDD)

Re: DCS2.0 Files and Illustrator

PSD file - make a CMYK file with additional Spot channels - this can also be embedded in AI - it will create a series of opacity masks.

Okay, sounds good. Thanks for the quick reply. Everything looks good. But I am a little confused about the CMYK portion still being in the image. will this be an issue at all for my vendor? Especialy since i only want the image printed in Spot, or rather it can only be printed in Spot colors.

Edited by: RclSab on May 19, 2008 3:36 PM

Make sure to list the used inks - and to ignore CMYK.

MC files can't be placed in AI.

DCS files don't support transparency below CS3.

When everything is in a native Adobe format life gets alot easier.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back