Acrobat DC

kaiserwilhelm

Anyone know of a way that I can get back to the Acrobat I loved a week ago?
I stupidly updated to DC. NOT a fan whatsoever. Seems slow and buggy - beyond the fact that Adobe somehow thinks I want the "Windows" look and feel with that stupid white page open all the time.
I am on the cloud and really just want the previous version.
Thoughts?

If you don't want Acrobat DC un-install it from the Creative Cloud app. Then go here and download Acrobat XI:

https://creative.adobe.com/products/acrobat

Just make sure to change the version to Acrobat XI before you hit the download button.

Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 11.01.08 AM.jpg

Then install Acrobat XI.

Anyone know of a way that I can get back to the Acrobat I loved a week ago?
I stupidly updated to DC. NOT a fan whatsoever. Seems slow and buggy - beyond the fact that Adobe somehow thinks I want the "Windows" look and feel with that stupid white page open all the time.
I am on the cloud and really just want the previous version.
Thoughts?

Surprised you find it slow, I am finding this to be significantly faster then the previous version and have read a few others saying the same thing.

10.9.5 on a 1 year old Mac Pro (round not cheese grater) with 32 gig of ram and ssd.

I think a lot of it is my complete inpatient with the new window being visible at all times.

Hold the option key down while clicking the Close button in the upper left hand corner of the PDF window will close the PDF and the Home Window. Or keyboard shortcut COMMAND+W twice will do it as well.

My brief experience is very positive, except for the home window, still did not figure out how to get rid of it for good (no drag and drop in window either, kind of useless).
Other than that finally Acrobat seems very fast and responsive, kudos to Adobe.
I even tested Quite Imposing 4 beta and it usually is very fast impo, but it zips super fast in new Acrobat DC.

except for the home window, still did not figure out how to get rid of it for good (no drag and drop in window either, kind of useless).

Can you folks who don't like the new Home window tell us WHY, please?

Do you not find the functionality (such as access to an unlimited number of recent files or your cloud storage) useful? Do you not like something about the design of the window? What?

I open my PDF's full screen. When you close it the Home screen stays full screen and hides everything behind it.

I rarely use Recent Files.

I rarely use cloud storage.

Now I realize others may find the Home screen useful. Just as they may like the background surrounding open PDF's being bright white enough you need sunglasses to see and they may like being able to create a new sticky note with Output Preview open by using SHIFT+CLICK but what I don't like is Adobe deciding that is the way EVERYONE should like it. A preference setting to hide the home screen when closing a PDF or change the background color or to modify a key modifier that Adobe changed from a standard one the world over to something completely different. Just give us a choice to use it the way we want to use it. One setting does not fit all! :mad:

I open my PDF's full screen. When you close it the Home screen stays full screen and hides everything behind it.
A preference setting to hide the home screen when closing a PDF or change the background color or to modify a key modifier that Adobe changed from a standard one the world over to something completely different. Just give us a choice to use it the way we want to use it. One setting does not fit all! :mad:

I concur. When I close a document I don't want a large window to stick around. Leonard I still owe you that document compare thing that I promised and I will try to get it accomplished today.

Leonard

The above states exactly what I do not like about the window.
I rarely use previous files.
I have no use for the cloud.

Same idea here and it is against Mac design, I consider it unnecessary clutter.
I can see how Windows person could not understand as GUI works in different way on Windows.
Application should not block your view of desktop wallpaper or whatever you have in the background.
If I focus on task, I am focusing on PDF document itself, home window is useless.
When I finish working on the PDF, usually I stop working or go browsing or do something else so I do not need to be back in home window.
If I need to get to new file, I open in finder place with PDF and I double click PDF to open it in Acrobat.

If Home Window is a must and we can not get rid of it, make it at least useful as large area onto you can drag and drop PDF to open.
That would be one use I could think of for that window.
Again, I am prepress person and I don't care for the most part about recent files, and if I did care I can find them easily in File menu like the rest of applications have it for a long time.

Thanks for taking input Leonard.

Last edited:
Now I realize others may find the Home screen useful. Just as they may like the background surrounding open PDF's being bright white enough you need sunglasses to see and they may like being able to create a new sticky note with Output Preview open by using SHIFT+CLICK but what I don't like is Adobe deciding that is the way EVERYONE should like it. A preference setting to hide the home screen when closing a PDF or change the background color or to modify a key modifier that Adobe changed from a standard one the world over to something completely different. Just give us a choice to use it the way we want to use it. One setting does not fit all! :mad:

Preferences are a crutch - they are not a solution. Adding a preference for every possible option is the wrong solution to any problem. It's why we no longer do it - and in fact, our goal is to clean up preferences significantly in the coming releases.

As far as the home screen - I agree that right now Mac users find it a bit disconcerting. However, as we evolve it to include more functionality and also look at other viewing models (say tabs!), it will come together into a cohesive environment that you will come to enjoy.

Same idea here and it is against Mac design, I consider it unnecessary clutter.
Application should not block your view of desktop wallpaper or whatever you have in the background.

Actually, we are following Apple designs in the way the Home screen works. (and whereever you got that idea about hiding the desktop is simply incorrect). When you open an application (without a document), an application is required to put up a window - this is called the "relaunch app, or rapp event". This is why Office, Pages, Keynote, etc. all do this. In the past, we did not and users were VERY CONFUSED because they didn't see the subtle menubar change. Now, we are completely inline with the guidelines and present our "default" view ready for users to easily open files.

If I focus on task, I am focusing on PDF document itself, home window is useless.

Ah - but you are seeing Home as a separate window - and it is NOT! It is a TAB (of sorts) on a multi-tabbed window. the other two tabs being Tools and Document. When we support document tabs, then this will also be consistent...

When I finish working on the PDF, usually I stop working or go browsing or do something else so I do not need to be back in home window.

So you always close every tab in your browser when you leave Safari/Chrome? Or all the open documents in InDesign or Photoshop? Think about Acrobat the same way as these other apps.

If Home Window is a must and we can not get rid of it, make it at least useful as large area onto you can drag and drop PDF to open.

That wouldn't make any sense, since the display is of a list of files (recents, cloud, etc.) and a drag INTO that window would logically imply a copy (or potentially move) of that file into the repository in question. It would not imply an open.

Preferences are a crutch - they are not a solution. Adding a preference for every possible option is the wrong solution to any problem. It's why we no longer do it - and in fact, our goal is to clean up preferences significantly in the coming releases.

As far as the home screen - I agree that right now Mac users find it a bit disconcerting. However, as we evolve it to include more functionality and also look at other viewing models (say tabs!), it will come together into a cohesive environment that you will come to enjoy.

Getting rid of preferences that are needed just to "clean it up" doesn't make sense.

So instead of keeping the "Recent Files" list in the "File" menu where it belongs you think it is better to commandeer my 27" of screen real estate every time I close a PDF? If I close a PDF I simply do not need to see that screen. I closed it for a reason. Usually to go back to another window or Application behind Acrobat. If I want to open another PDF at some point I can either double click it, well unless you are planning on eliminating double clicks to open files, or I can go back to Acrobat and press COMMAND+O on my keyboard. Look at this way too, if the Home window stays open and I move to another application or two and a few finder windows and I would then want to go back to the Home screen it will now be buried under multiple other windows. Yeah, I can COMMAND+TAB right back to it which I could also do if there were no Home screen.

Tabs would be nice. If I have 10 PDF's open and can switch to them by either clicking the tab or using COMMAND+~ to cycle between them would be nice. (Unless you are planning on hijacking COMMAND+~ for some other senseless shortcut) But once I close that 10th PDF I sure would rather not see a window still there with a Home and Tools tabs.

The other Adobe apps have the Application Frame enabled by default but they at least allow you to turn it off. You can also switch between dark and light interfaces. Adobe is giving you a choice there. They are NOT giving you a choice in Acrobat. Just because Adobe likes it doesn't mean everyone will and users should not be forced into it. I wouldn't even mind the home screen if it were a little smaller. When I first launched it, it wasn't bad. Then I opened a PDF and made it full screen and much to my disappointment when I closed it the Home screen remained full screen. If it reverted back to the size it was before opening a PDF at least it wouldn't be blocking every application and window behind it.

Leonard, you just might be right and this is the new way for everything, however I am just telling you my preference.
There is something bothersome for me with that home window, perhaps I will grow to like it over time, who knows.
Photoshop opens with frame by default so it looks like windows app, guess what is first thing I do, go into Window and turn off "Application Frame", that way it never comes back and I have my desktop visible at all times behind. Perhaps this is wrong as you want neutral background around your image to retouch colour, in such case I can go to full screen.

Indesign and Illustrator do not have this application frame but they have welcome screen, which by the way became really nasty in CC and newer.
Guess what is first thing I do, turn off welcome screen and set preference to never show it to me again.
In latest version CC 2014 I had to chase on second tab on bottom this preference, obviously obscured to force me to keep it, I am sorry but I can't.

When I am done browsing I just quit my browser, cmd+q, no need for application frame.

Again, this is my preference and I might be in minority but as long as I have option to disable that frame or screen I will be happy, I don't mind chasing around to find it.

InDesign CC 2014 and Photoshop CC 2014 both have the application frame and both allow you to turn it off. Illustrator CC 2014 has no Application Frame.

I stand corrected, thanks Joe, I must have turned it off in Indesign while ago and forgot about it :)
I remember when Photoshop came out with application frame on by default, it was horror.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back