Illustrator CS Font Problems

89bears

I have a Illustrator CS file that I am opening in CS3 (do not have CS anymore). I have the clients fonts loaded but they are still coming in as needing to update the threads. Then if I go the the find font section the fonts in the document do not show up until I click on a line of text to update it, then they show up there. All of the text however is broken up into sections. I called the client to make sure of the platform and it is on the Mac. Any suggestions????

Re: Illustrator CS Font Problems

Lisa,

Do you mind sending me the file and fonts for me to check out? I'm thinking (if Illustrator acts like it used to) that you can click on type made in a previous Illustrator and it ask if you want to copy or update. If you choose Copy, it will gray out and lock the old type and make a new editable copy of the type that's not broken up. This way, you can do kerning or tracking on the new type to match the old, and then unlock and delete the old grayed out version.

Don

Lisa, are you sure the illustartor file from your client is from CS? It look more like an illustrator CS save as Illustrator 10 document. (Where all type are either point type of convert to outline). Ask you client to check that and resend you a CS version if this is what he was using.

Lisa,

I understand. Too big to want to send. OK. I would make sure my fonts are loaded. You may want to quit Illustrator as well as any font software you have open, drag your fonts into /Users/Username/Library/Fonts. Open Illustrator. Open document. Do you get any message that the fonts are missing or to update because the document was created in a previous version of Illustrator? If you get the message to update, you can either not update (in which case in edit mode your type will look like placed boxes and the fonts will not show up in Find Font), or choose to update. If you choose to update, the tracking may be different than it was previously, but any used fonts will show up in Find Font. Because it may be different tracking than used before, I usually choose to open the document, then click on the type I want to change, and click Copy, which makes the original type as gray color and locked, and copied an updated editable copy on top of it, so that it is easy to see the difference between the original and updated type. Then I can easily change tracking to get the original appearance, and then hide the editable type and unlock and delete the gray original, then show the editable type.

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back