Acrobat Preflight Submitted - Anyone From Adobe Out There?

Bill W

Continuation of my previous Preflight Thread - Once again thanks to Stephen for discovering that stroked type will only trigger if PDF was made via Distiller, not via Adobe products. Fine, however a PS or EPS distilled loses transparency, another item I would like to be caught in Preflight Check.

Can someone lurking from Adobe guide me on how to get both transparency and stroked type to trigger in Acrobat Preflight? Also I was led to believe that making PDF files from Illustrator, inDesign, etc was now the way to make PDF files instead of using Distiller. My experiments show they are not seen the same in Acrobat Preflight - anyone from Adobe care to comment?

Thank you

If Leonard or Dov are lurking…

Exporting PDF that contains text that has both a fill and a stroke applied results in the following:

1. Stroked text is transformed into an outlined vector path, it is no longer a font/live text, it only contains a stroke. The stacking order will vary as InDesign and Illustrator have different options for aligning the stroke to the text.

2. The fill remains as live text.

Printing to .ps file and Distilling a file that contains text with both a fill and a stroke:

1. Stroked text is maintained as a font/text with a stroke and no fill – however this object is duplicated from the original single text object

2. The fill remains as live text.

In either case, the original native file element was a single object, however when a PDF is created this is no longer the case.

http://printplanet.com/forum/prepre...dentifying-multiple-color-filled-stroked-type

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/68010...91086639407106

Stephen Marsh

Disappointed that I did not get a response for Adobe "people" as to how to create a PDF that in preflight with show stroked type as type and honor transparency. As per Stephen Marsh's info, I can make a PDF via Distiller that will show stroked type as type, but then transparency lost. Or I can make a PDF via Illustrator, but then stoked type becomes graphic elements.

Disappointed that I did not get a response for Adobe "people" as to how to create a PDF that in preflight with show stroked type as type and honor transparency. As per Stephen Marsh's info, I can make a PDF via Distiller that will show stroked type as type, but then transparency lost. Or I can make a PDF via Illustrator, but then stoked type becomes graphic elements.

Send me a sample pdf.

Continuation of my previous Preflight Thread - Once again thanks to Stephen for discovering that stroked type will only trigger if PDF was made via Distiller, not via Adobe products. Fine, however a PS or EPS distilled loses transparency, another item I would like to be caught in Preflight Check.

Can someone lurking from Adobe guide me on how to get both transparency and stroked type to trigger in Acrobat Preflight? Also I was led to believe that making PDF files from Illustrator, inDesign, etc was now the way to make PDF files instead of using Distiller. My experiments show they are not seen the same in Acrobat Preflight - anyone from Adobe care to comment?

Thank you

This is a known issue for many years. Text in both Illustrator and InDesign that is either only stroked or both filled and stroked leads to PDF (via save and export respectively) that contains stroked polygons and in the case of text that is both filled and stroked, the generated PDF contains filled text and is overlaid with stroked polygons.

Obviously you cannot use the Acrobat's text edit facilities to edit such text.

Having pointed out this issue internally in the past, I will push this issue internally yet again and point to this thread as evidence that not only Dov cares about this. ;)

- Dov

Having pointed out this issue internally in the past, I will push this issue internally yet again and point to this thread as evidence that not only Dov cares about this. ;)

- Dov

Thank you for the reply Dov,

This has also been a problem for users of Enfocus PitStop Pro wishing to preflight for stroked text, in addition to users of Acrobat Pro preflight:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/68010...91086639407106

Stephen Marsh

Dov, thanks from me too for your response. I guess for now I can make two PDF files, one from native application to preflight for transparency, and one through Distiller to preflight for stroked type. A bit of a hassle, but definitely a first world problem.

No Title

Dov,

If you're able to convince the Indesign people to change the PDF export behavior for stroked text, I would also suggest to them a few more changes:

1) If text has a fill other than none or white and a stroke of zero width applied, to omit the stroke (this often causes undesired hairlines around text and is always unintentional in my experience).

2) If the text fill is 100% of the default [Black] swatch, do not set it to overprint if it has a stroke of non-zero thickness, even when "Overprint [Black] Swatch at 100%" is turned on, as it usually is. I've attached a slightly exaggerated example of what the current result is.

Attachments

• photo5313.jpg
    photo5313.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 226

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back