CS6 and Apple OS

All in all, it seems to be stable. Have had some SMB issues connecting to a Windows Server 2008r2 box but otherwise, it's ok.

pd

This sounds promising. i asked because I have an iMac running Mavericks and thought I should upgrade to at least Yosemite. A new OS (Sierra, I believe) is coming soon and I always heard the rule of thumb is to not get more than two systems behind.

It's working fine here also, I would add however that we have on more than one machine minor issues if we just updated the OS, but if we went back and wiped it and did a clean re-install those issues went away. Also, have to revert to an older version of Java I think helped with Indesign CS6 and maybe Preps also?

It's working fine here also, I would add however that we have on more than one machine minor issues if we just updated the OS, but if we went back and wiped it and did a clean re-install those issues went away. Also, have to revert to an older version of Java I think helped with Indesign CS6 and maybe Preps also?

Hi Prepper,

Just out of curiosity, what minor issues did you experience?

Thanks,
pd

No problems with 10.10 running CS6, and no problems with 10.11 and CS6. I have CS6 on a 2010 Mac Pro at home running 10.11, fast. I think I did have to get an older version of java.

If you want to see an Apps compatibility with and OS or anything else check out the great site linked below. Also I amrunning 10.10 on all our workstations and use CC15 all the way down to CS3 with no issues really. You have to download the old version of Java 6 for CS6 and below but it's an easy find.

El cap runs quite well on a "vintage" 2012 I-Mac, but on my Mac Mini it runs like a three legged dog.

We're on the verge of having to upgrade software, mainly because the graphic designers are. To go along with the upgrades (Mac OS Sierra, Quark 2016, Adobe CC, Suitcase Fusion) means we have to upgrade our Xirton Sierra RIP and the Remote Clients that come with it. We won't go to Mac OS Sierra, but there are issues to work out. Our upgrade process isn't as simple as theirs. At least I can upgrade my home OS and use CS6 there for now.

new imac (ssd) and 16gb-ram and 27" retina (dual monitor setup) … mac-osx-sierra (10.12.6) … running cs6, cc'17, cc'18 without so much as hiccup. while this is not high-sierra … am willing to bet dollars-to-donuts cs6 will run fine.

Last edited:
I ran some tests on a MacBook Pro. CS6 opened and seemed to run fine, as did CS5 in high sierra. Only tried opening a few files, no real production time put into it, was just curious if it would even open... which it did.

I ran some tests on a MacBook Pro. CS6 opened and seemed to run fine, as did CS5 in high sierra. Only tried opening a few files, no real production time put into it, was just curious if it would even open... which it did.

That's encouraging. I may take the plunge and go to High Sierra. There's another OS coming next month from what I heard, and I don't want to go there just yet.

That's encouraging. I may take the plunge and go to High Sierra. There's another OS coming next month from what I heard, and I don't want to go there just yet.

I installed the beta of the next MacOS Mojave as a virtual machine. It will bet that this is the last MacOS update for CS6 for sure. It warns you with older non 64 bit apps that in future MacOS updates the app will not work.

I installed CS6 to test for a friend and the results were not good. That being said it might be better once the OS is ready for final release but I would not hold my breath.

Clean install of CS6. Illustrator crashes on start up. Indesign starts up but crashes as soon as I try and make a new document. Photoshop gave me some warning regarding graphic capabilities and said some functions would not work. It did start up however and did not crash when I opened up an image in photoshop. The warning never popped up again regarding the graphic capabilities.

I did take a screen shot of the warning message about older apps not working in future versions:

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.48.05 a.m. by B P, on Flickr

If you want to see an Apps compatibility with and OS or anything else check out the great site linked below. Also I amrunning 10.10 on all our workstations and use CC15 all the way down to CS3 with no issues really. You have to download the old version of Java 6 for CS6 and below but it's an easy find.

According to the chart, InDesign CS6 works with Mojave. That means I have the option of going to High Sierra or Mojave. I have Sierra on my iMac now, and keep getting the "Upgrade to Mac OS Mojave" prompt. I also have a webpage bookmarked for upgrading to High Sierra. Maybe I should partition the hard drive (1 TB) and do the upgrade that way, just in case? Also, how can I determine if CS6 is 32- or 64-bit? The "Arch (MacOS)" column says "64 bit" for InDesign CS6; don't know if that's for the OS or the application.

Last edited:
Should work with all Mac OS's up to Catalina which will be coming out in September. Catalina will not run 32 bit apps, so Indesign CS6 is done. I think Photoshop CS6 was a 64 bit app and possibly Illustrator, but could be wrong on that.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back