Adobe Acrobat Pro - question about landscape or portrait orientation?

Kees

Hi all,
I have a problem with the orientation the PDF. My original PDF is landscape, it's a sheet layout. From this PDF I make a new PDF, for example a die-cut PDF by using the separation option in the advanced print setup. Now, on my own machine this PDF is also landscape, this is good, but on the machines of my 2 colleagues it comes out portrait, and this is not good. As far as we can see all machines have the same settings, same software, versions etc. but we are not able to get it right. Where shoot we look for a solution or help?
Thanks in advance,
Kees

Is it cutting off the sides trying to print portrait?
Acrobat default printing does "auto portrait/landscape". If it's an issue, then select "landscape" when printing.

Hi nameless entity,
No, it's not cutting off the sides, selecting "landscape" is neither a solution. Now, you can change the view by selecting rotate clockwise but that does not change the file into landscape.

In acrobat there are two ways of rotating the orientation.
The first is the "view" menu and lets you rotate view either direction. Now this is only temporary and once the file closes it will open the original orientation again.
The second in the tools menu is organise pages option. You can select all pages and using the rotate button in this it will allow you to rotate the pages. The difference with this one is you can resave the file and the new orientation will be held.

Are either of these options allowing you to turn the pages?

Hi,
This works (i can save the new orientation), however, it does not explain why the orientation changes from landscape into portrait in the first place, and it's more work to create the right file now. There must be some kind of setting or other strange phenomenon causing this because on one PC it work fine and on the other it does not.

:mad: unfortunately it does not work that well... saving the rotated page and opening it from my desktop, yes, it opens correct in landscape, but when I email this file it opens again in the wrong (portrait) direction...

I don't think it should affect it but on the computer you are trying to open it on ( that is opening the opposite to yours ) Under...edit....preferences.....page layout. Is this set to automatic?

second test worked, in Adobe - tools - page - rotate and save as, mailed it to my pc and it opened correct, don't know why it didn't do this the first time?

A shot in the dark but are the systems all using the same system screen resolution, i.e...something like 1920 x 1080? It sounds like your Acrobat page display preferences set to automatic might be flipping the page automatically if the other computers have a different resolution set. Try changing the Acrobat preference for page display to 'Fit Page'.

In the Preferences for page display all systems have the same value: custom resolution 110 pixels/inch.

No I am talking about the operating system setting for monitor resolution. What OS are the PC's running?

Hi Jo, the OS = Windows 7 Enterprise service pack 1, 64 bit, resolution is 1920x1200, on all systems.

Can try it, but on my system it's on automatic and i have no problems so i don't think it has anything to do with it. I'll let you know what comes out. There is a lot to find on the net about landscape and portrait problems but not specific about this issue. For now we will use the solution Pippip pointed out by rotating the page and saving it as a new pdf. For now, thanks for looking into it!

In acrobat there are two ways of rotating the orientation.
The first is the "view" menu and lets you rotate view either direction. Now this is only temporary and once the file closes it will open the original orientation again.
The second in the tools menu is organise pages option. You can select all pages and using the rotate button in this it will allow you to rotate the pages. The difference with this one is you can resave the file and the new orientation will be held.

Are either of these options allowing you to turn the pages?

I hope your second option works! Will give it a try. (Background: Received 3 nasty-looking pdfs saved out of PowerPoint. All landscape for large format output on HP DesignJet 6800ps. Could not get them to print rotated to fit on paper roll width. Tried both Acrobat and printer’s setup options. Ended up saving each file as jpg, then rotated in PSD. What a pain!)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back