Opening a PDF with Illustrator - Epic Fail

Collapse
CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I absolutely agree that editing a PDF in Illustrator is a bad idea and I will resist doing so as much as possible in favor of a better file, sometimes those of us fighting in the trenches....simply have no choice.

pd

Comment

Originally posted by prepressdork View Post
      While I absolutely agree that editing a PDF in Illustrator is a bad idea and I will resist doing so as much as possible in favor of a better file, sometimes those of us fighting in the trenches....simply have no choice.

pd
      I will always request a native file but I agree, sometimes you have no choice. Using flattener preview can make some files usable, even though they will require cleaning up. If I work off an .ai file or have to recreate from physical samples and text files I always try to have a reference file to compare vs to make sure nothing is out of wack.

Comment

Try outputting a PDF from corel draw with marks and bleeds.... Sometimes the image is not centered when opened in illustrator
        Last edited by prepmaster; 03-29-2018, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dabob View Post

Glenn, if you read a little farther down the text you will find the following,

"When you open an Adobe PDF file in Illustrator using the File > Open command"

So while you are 1/2 right it does specify an Adobe PDF so it would appear that word (as dov pointed out) and also other pdf creators would be left out . . . it would be interesting to see what Steven's Device N problem would be handled . . .

My biggest experience is having to fix labels that "artist" create in illy so I have not personally experienced any issues other than un-linked placed files when I do that . .. .
          Actually I don't think I'm half right, I'm completely wrong, I have mis-read or mis interpreted the meaning of the words, though I think that the words could be clearer, I shouldn't have used my poor attempt at humour in my post, I'd just like to apologise to Dov, and anyone on the forum if I gave the impression that Illustrator should be used as a general means to edit pdfs because I know that it should not.

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
          4OverStandard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph ExpoLabelexpoKBAKBASmartsoft (Presswise)Chili publish4 Pees

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4541 users online. 104 members and 4437 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
          X