Acrobat.com = free FTP

FasterMD

acrobat.com

This is very cool but I don't know much about it.

Essentially acts as a free FTP site.

Very good for the prepress department trying to survive without an FTP.

Yousendit.com allows you to upload large files, provides an URL from which it can then be downloaded and emails the person you want to receive the file. It's free, although there are options for a paid service.

John

>acrobat.com

>This is very cool but I don't know much about it.

>Essentially acts as a free FTP site.

>Very good for the prepress department trying to survive without an FTP.

This is a very misleading post. The site mentioned "acrobat.com" does nothing of the sort. It is for creating pdfs on line as a promotion for Acrobat 9. There is a "Learn more..." link above the Begin buton that gives this information plus instructions:

"Convert up to five files to PDF online

Acrobat.com provides an online PDF converter so you can easily create PDF documents from your existing files in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and many other applications. It's as easy as selecting your file and clicking Create PDF. And it's free, so sign up now."

The post by J about YouSendIt on the other hand, is genuine and I have used it many times.

Al

Al, I think the transfer files capability was the icon "share" to the right of the initial one for making PDFs on line. The share icon takes you to: Adobe - Online file sharing from Acrobat.com
which seems to be similar to Yousendit.com and what I think the original poster was writing about.

best, John

If I understand correct Acrobat has the advantage of being able to share even for a redaction workflow.
example: I think I have a finished PDF, but want some one or several people to review.
Share it, they can add their comments etc. So more than an FTP, an online proofing/redaction service, though I believe there is a limit or something.

Acrobat.com offers a collection of services (all for free) that have NOTHING to do with Acrobat/Reader.

* Create PDF - convert a variety of formats to PDF
* Share - online file sharing service (5G of storage)
* Connect Now - web conferencing with video, audio, chat, screen sharing, etc.
* Buzzword - online collaborative word processor

HOWEVER, when used with Adobe Acrobat or Reader, you get a bunch of new features

* Collaborate Live - be "on the same page" with another user of the same document
* Shared Reviews - powerful comment & review workflows
* Forms Collection - hosted forms data collection

Plus integration with the other services already mentioned.

Thanks for this thread, everyone. I'll be looking into acrobat.com.

I've used yousendit.com, and others like mailbigfile.com, in the past, but as far as I can tell they're only useful for single files (albeit very large ones). Of course, I can zip a bunch of files into a single zip file, but does anyone know of an alternative that allows multiple file transfer? An online FTP server is what I'm getting at, I guess. And I need it to work both ways - ie people need to be able to send multiple files to me, and I need to be able to edit them and send them back.

Is this acrobat.com service what I'm looking for?

Last edited:
Damo,

Why not just put up your own ftp server? There are several FTP Software applications out there for a reasonable price.

You can set one up very easily with CrushFTP. It's a shareware program that runs on a mac. I think it runs about 25 hotdogs.

Rumpus: Download An Evalutaion Package

Download demo, I like a router with a DMZ port, follow simple setup, your up and running.

This for Mac, I also use Filezilla on XP, it's free, Rumpus is about 250, but they have excellent tech support.

Outsourcing your ftp is not wise in my opinion. Having more than one option is very safe, you should also sign up for a gmail account. They give you 6+ gigs and there are extensions like gspace that let you use this as a file repository. I use this for a lot of transfers, as I can give others access to the account info and we use it like a networked hard drive. Gmail has had less downtime than any service provider that I have ever encountered. You can sign up for as many accounts as you can keep track of, I have 10, that's 70 gigs of space, but I really use 3-4, they rest I use for spam trash and some for installs and software updates, priceless in a pinch.

I use filezilla, it´s opensource, it has a server and the client is very good too.

Regards

Alejandro Jourdan

If you're looking for a Mac based FTP server, try out Pure FTPd Manager. It's a Mac GUI front end for the open source Pure FTPd. Its secure, relatively easy to setup and free. I've been using it for some time now and it's worked great.

<http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/index.html?http&&&jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/download.html>

Shawn

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back