Save to CS3 automatically

Caled

How do I get Indesign CS3 to save in CS3 format as default? By that I mean if I open a CS2 file In CS3 how do I get Indesign to automatically save in CS3 format? It used to be with CS2 that a dialogue box would come up onscreen and ask if I wanted to save in CS2 format, but not so with CS3. Its a chore having to convert all our CS2 files now.

Great forum by the way.

Re: Save to CS3 automatically

My CS3 will save as CS3 format only if the design work is done in CS3. If I open a CS2 file in CS3 and save it, the original file has to be reselected and over written as CS3.

That's the way it works, like it or not. It's converting the InDesign CS2 file to CS3 when
you open it. I find it to be a handy feature personally as it keeps the original file
intact by default.

Just so I can understand what's being said, if I:
Open InDesign CS2 document in InDesign CS3, then save it as my job number (different name, not overwriting original), it saves as CS3, correct?
As was said, it converts from CS2 to CS3 upon opening, so it's CS3 when it's opened and saves it as CS3, correct?
I expect a yes on both of these, but if I'm wrong, would definitely like to know about it.

Don

In fact, to save to CS2 format after opening in CS3, you'd have to export .inx and open that in InDesign CS2, correct?
So the program does what you want it to do (open in CS3 and save as CS3) by default.
Also, if there is any doubt, I know a 'Save As' instead of a 'Save' has totally re-written the file in the past (so would definitely be CS3).

Don

Just a pun on your name man. There are some things even doubting thomas doesn't doubt.

Cheers,
Don

Going back the other way, if you double click on a CS2 file, it'll inevitably open in, or launch, CS3. In my experience, even Default App won't override this. I now get used to right clicking> open With>CS2. Sometimes a CS2 file will pick up a CS3 icon, [more times than not]. In that case it's a>Get Info> and change it back.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back