INDESIGN CS3 PRINTING INCORRECT PAGE ORDER

bbmeister

INDESIGN CS3 PRINTING INCORRECT PAGE ORDER
When printing direct from Indy CS3 with a page range other than all, (etc. 2,4,6,8,) I'm getting sequential order from our RIP. It does seem to be a CS3 since I found a solution on the Adobe Indesign web sie. Solution was suppose to be the 5.01 update, but it made no difference. When printing to a file either PS or PDF it prints fine, the pages print in the order requested, (etc. 2,4,6,8).

It is only Indy CS3 that we have this problem. Indy CS2 and Quark 7.2 are fine.

Thanks
bbmeister

Our RIP is Nexus 8.5.1

Re: INDESIGN CS3 PRINTING INCORRECT PAGE ORDER

Hi Robert,
I would check your RIP for updates or workarounds instead. CS3 has new output coding compared to CS2 and has been known to create problems.

Not to do with page order, but related. We are/were having problems printing .ps from Indy CS3, and bringing into PREPS. They are definitely writing bounding box code differently to CS2. The pages were offsetting vertically in PREPS. Like 30mm!. PREPS didn't even like adjusting them for offset. The solution is to print to Device Independent .ps. i.e. no special PPDs.
have been assured that for the purposes of bringing into PREPS, this is no big deal. This was advice from Kodak, from someone who knows.

This is a bug between CS3 and Intel Chip Macs. If you print from any Mac using CS2, it will register the page number fine in the rip. If you print from CS3 on an Intel Chip Mac, you will have a problem. If you print from CS3 on a NON-Intel Chip Mac, it will work properly. Hopefully you have some Non-Intel Chip Macs in your shop you can use when you need to print just a few pages worth of corrections. Please submit a bug fix to Adobe . . . the more of us that voice our problem, the more likely they will be to fix it for us. Good Luck!

Bob, I tried replicating the problem with my system but I got what I ask for, sort of. The page numbers in front of the page module is wrong, but the content is right.

I'm using a Mactel box running 10.4.10 from InDesign 5.01 to my Nexus 8.5rev2 RIP. I printed In-RIP separations in this order: 2-4,8,6,5,7 and that's what I got, in that order. Perhaps an upgrade to Rev 2 will help fix your problem.

Edited by: GinSu on Nov 2, 2007 4:01 PM

Edited by: GinSu on Nov 2, 2007 4:08 PM Nevermind. I see now that the problem is that Nexus isn't giving the Rasterpage the correct page number. It prints in the defined order, but rasterpages are named sequentially.

You can also quit ID CS3, get info on it, check the box "open using rosetta" and all will print fine. The drawback to this is CS3 slows way down. I turn this on when I'm printing to the RIP (Nexus as well) and it fixes the numerous problems we've had (page numbers wrong, separations not working) . Another way is to export PDF and feed the PDF to the RIP.

Dan
*You are truly the man!*
One other question, how in the hell did you find this, and what is rosetta?
Thanks
Bob

Rosetta is the emulation built into OS X Tiger (and most likely Leopard, although I've never read about it in Leopard). It allows emulating PPC processor chip on Intel processor chip, so that legacy PPC applications can be run on Intel Macs. Get info on the application and check the checkbox to run it via Rosetta. Instead of running the native Intel code of the app, OS X will run the PPC code of the app (so it runs the same as it would on PPC Mac albeit slower).

Don

I found this when realizing some PPDs were not universal and I was forced to use Rosetta to get all of the functionality. I tried as a test with Nexus and got the results I wanted and have been doing it ever since. It is still not the way things SHOULD be done, but it WORKS and that's the important thing when it comes to getting the job done. Glad I could help.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back