Different Pantone builds within Adobe Apps . . .

Greg_Firestone

Hi all,

I need to know if I'm going crazy or there is a difference. I have Creative Suite 2 in front of me. Lookup the Pantone Solid Uncoated color 215 U. What are your values for Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign? Are they the same?

Regards,
Greg

Systems Engineer
OneVision, Inc.

Re: Different Pantone builds within Adobe Apps . . .

Looks like someones post was censored...

I get the same value in all applications:

L 44
a 42
b 1

that happens when they reply by email and intermix their reply with the old content..engine can't parse out the old with the new.

I am getting C 100 M 40 Y 0 K 10 for 215-1-U in all three applications.

> I need to know if I'm going crazy or there is a difference. I have Creative Suite 2 in front of me. Lookup the Pantone Solid Uncoated color 215 U. What are your values for Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign? Are they the same?

InDesign and Illustrator use CMYK recipes supplied by PANTONE® by default. Photoshop uses the Lab data and calculates the CMYK mix based on the profile of the image you're working on. If the image is not tagged, I believe that Photoshop then bases the conversion on the default profiles in the Color Settings.

InDesign and Illy can carry out color transforms, recalculating the tint mixes for the new color space. It's not the same as what Photoshop is doing, and can be a bit hard to control, in my opinion.

Photoshop goes: Lab —> CMYK.
InDesign and/or Illy go: CMYK —> Lab —> CMYK

I hope that in the future InDesign and Illy adopt a methodology more like Photoshop's. I think it'd be nice (and proper) if PMS numbers specified device independent color. That could then be used to calculate the tint mix based on the document profile.

I'm assuming that InDesign and Illy are in agreement, and Photoshop is the wildcard app.

rich

In other words, if in Photoshop and you want to match what you get when using PANTONE solid coated library in InDesign, you would have to use the PANTONE solid to process library in Photoshop, because that's actually the right library for choosing CMYK numbers given by PANTONE for the PANTONE color CMYK equivalents. InDesign gives the CMYK color equivalents by default even when using the solid coated library, and no color management is happening.

The reverse of this is if you want InDesign to use the same numbers as Photoshop for a certain PANTONE color, then you'll need to use the PANTONE solid coated library in both. Photoshop will use the Lab numbers as source by default and get the CMYK numbers by using the CMYK profile of the document. Color management is happening here. To make InDesign do this too, you'll want to use the same CMYK profile as used in Photoshop, and in Ink Manager, choose to convert all spots to process, and check Use Lab values.

Yes it would be nice if we could all just quit using PANTONE's wrong CMYK numbers and all start using the PANTONE Lab values. Unfortunately, mapping of out-of-gamut colors into the printing condition is inherent in the CMYK profile. More work needs done on this to get the best possible hue match to the out-of-gamut colors (think PANTONE Goe, RGB, Lab colors that can't be matched in CMYK, but can get better matched according to hue with research, and maybe one day we could all use the same profile or program to give us the best reproduction).

Don

wouldn't that be nice. everyone using the same values. No more endless discussion what version is the correct one to use. A big problem with clients who tend to send us files from prehistoric times when the pantone values were a bit different from now...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back