PDF - the document could not be printed

in acrobat 8.0 i get very often the "the document could not be printed" dialog. sure i use in illustrator a lot of transparency, overprints, effects and more, but it is getting really annoying that I can't print every second PDF.

Is this problem common, any fixes? Can I save the PDF in a certain way to get around this problem? Often I can just simply print out of OSX native program Preview, then again, often it does not even display the PDF.

Cheers, Dimitri

Re: PDF - the document could not be printed

Are you using 8.0 or are you current with 8.1.1?

What version of Mac OS X are you using?

Does it matter what type of printer you print to (PostScript vs. Raster)?

Can you provide a sample PDF that demonstrates this problem?

Leonard

I've downloaded the 8.1.1 update but seem to have troubles to install it. When I want to point my copy of acrobat professional it is Grey.

Mac Intel 10.4.10

cheers, dimitri

If you have changed the name of the Acrobat application the updater will not recognize it, it must be "Adobe Acrobat Professional", then it should work.

Yes, I have this problem too, but with Reader. The problem existed in 8.0, 8.1, and is still there in 8.1.1.
Here is a document that reproduces the problem :

<ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/manuals/P4M80-M7A%20V7.X/p4m80-m7.pdf>

Note: I reported this during the Reader 8.1 Beta cycle.

We only use HP LaserJets for B & W printing, but I get the same error printing to our Xerox 7750GX color printer. Reader 7 works fine ( as does Preview ). Printing that document from 8.1.1 on Linux or Windows is not an issue, works great. This is a Mac-only problem.

Chasd.

What version of Mac OS X? Have you reported this to technical support?

Leonard

> {quote:title=chasd wrote:}{quote}
> Yes, I have this problem too, but with Reader. The problem existed in 8.0, 8.1, and is still there in 8.1.1.
> Here is a document that reproduces the problem :
>
> <ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/manuals/P4M80-M7A%20V7.X/p4m80-m7.pdf>
>
> Note: I reported this during the Reader 8.1 Beta cycle.
>
> We only use HP LaserJets for B & W printing, but I get the same error printing to our Xerox 7750GX color printer. Reader 7 works fine ( as does Preview ). Printing that document from 8.1.1 on Linux or Windows is not an issue, works great. This is a Mac-only problem.
>
> Chasd.

Tried it in Acrobat 8 (OS X 10.4) and worked fine printing to an HP8000 and also passed through Prinergy with no problems (with the exception that fonts were missing).

Are your advanced output settings the same on the Mac as they are on the PC?

>What version of Mac OS X?

10.4.x - across several updates.

>Have you reported this to technical support?

No. I assumed since the problem was still there across many Reader updates, it wasn't reproducible anywhere but on my machine. That's why I posted here, this is the first time I'd seen anyone else experience the issue.

Note :
Sorry, the new web interface for the PrintPlanet Forums is too time consuming for me to use everyday, so I rarely check them now. If you want to contact me, use my e-mail address through my user profile.

Chasd.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back