Image has multiple pieces

kevinr

Scenario: We get a pdf from customer. I use the Touchup Object tool in Acrobat to open the images in PSD to edit and save back to the pdf. This works great. However, sometimes, larger images are tiled into smaller parts. What makes this happen? Is there a setting in InDesign my customer can use to prevent this tiling?

Is there something that can be done to prevent it when exporting? Having Atomic regions slows our editing down considerably.

Last edited:
Kevin, do you require flattened PDF files in your workflow, or are you willing to accept PDF files that contain live transparency? The latter should avoid the issue and the images should arrive intact.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I think this is one of the main motivators to move from PDFx1a to PDFx4. Ofcourse if the image is a placed add that at some point in its "life" has been flattened there is little you can do, possibly, you can edit page, to move the image to Illustrator there select all the objects and Rasterise them, (or export to PSD) that would merge them, and then continue from there, but it is much more work to reconstruct the file that has images converted to tiles than aviod the tiles. I would probably contact the customer and tell them what image needs to be fixed, since the risk to just fix it would be too high.

What is the issue you are trying to fix btw? If it is ink limit, try using the colour converter in Acrobat pro 9

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back