pdf file

Re: pdf file

Sounds like a good idea to me also. Just now getting into using Acrobat's preflighting and yes it will tell you all that but knowing quickly what to relate back to the customer would be invaluable.

Don, what particularly are you talking about with Mac OS X generated PDF's? I would like to know since they're considering switching our entire business from PC to Macs and already have done so with one of our Design\Media departments?

Thanks,
Terry Walker

The PDFs generated by OS X (When going to File > Print, and then Printer, and then choosing Save as PDF) are all RGB - no CMYK. So let's say you have a Quark file that has CMYK and color management is not turned on. When a PDF is Saved in the way described above, who knows what RGB profile is used as source? Who knows. Says the same thing each time when preflighted in Acrobat Pro. Doesn't matter though. The color, when converted to CMYK and printed, look different than intended (look different than the actual native images opened in Photoshop). This is why for one customer that insists on sending me this junk, I kick it back (unless it's grayscale and then I go ahead and use it because I get tired of kicking back this crap) and ask for native files. I explain to the estimator/customer service that I want the color to look like they built it to look, and the way they continuously make the PDF they send is messing up the colors.

Don

Bob,

If you are having problems with clients sending you badly constructed or distilled PDFs why not create your own Job Options file for each of your publications and email the file to them. All they have to do is copy it to the desktop and double-click on it to install although that will only make it available to the user that is logged on at the time. (Leonard, correct me if I am wrong) To make it available to everyone they will have to log on as an administrator and copy it into Hard Drive/Library/Applications Support/Adobe PDF/Settings. You could also make it available to download from your website with appropriate instructions. So easy. Mind you, it would still be nice and quick if the name of the Job Options file was included in the Properties.

And now a couple of questions for Leonard...

1. Why is the Standard setting you say is always there NOT available in InDesign or Photoshop?

2. Why do I have two Adobe PDF folders with Settings folders inside them. The only difference I can see is that one has a PDFX4 2007 Job Options file. Is this because I have two versions of the apps installed - CS2 and CS3?

Mark

Yes, CS2 and CS3 use different locations for the JobOptions. CS2 (and
Acrobat 7) had separate locations while CS3 and Acrobat 8 share a single
location with "filtered" lists of what options are available in what
application.

Leonard

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back