AX4 & Epson 9880

RVNG

Through private sale we have an opportunity to buy a used Epson 9880 to replace our weary ol’ Sherpa43. I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions in what to look for or what questions to ask the previous owner about its condition.

It would be for proofing purposes only and I would hate to get stuck with a machine that won’t calibrate under Apogee QMS/CMS or has some quirks. From what I’ve heard the 9880 has been another workhorse like the Sherpa and that’s what we’re after.

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks,
RG

If that epson has been sitting around you might have to look at replacing the printheads (which can be costly) this is due to clogged nozzles from ink drying out. Relatively speaking Epson's are pretty cheap these days you could get a 44" 9900 for around 6K canadian. I think the key question to ask is when is the last time the proofer was run and also if they used the photo or the matte black, I can't remember if that model was interchangeable or if you had to choose one or the other black modes on initial startup.

JL

Just saw the printer... seems its a 9800 instead of a 9880. Does anyone know of the differences? Is one more reliable than the other?

RG

i found out that the 9800 seems to be more prone to head clogging... and it prints a little slower... but it is reportedly a work-horse and still a good printer.

The Epson 9800 is what I currently use with my APX 4 workflow. I was starting to have serious clogging (clogging occuring while the proof would print, so half the proof OK and the rest filled with white lines) after 3 years of use. Just got the printhead replaced and while it improved the overall clogging problem, I will have to get the dampeners changed. So if you can test the printer before buying it, do so.

Thanks Colorblind,

The machine we are buying is 3 years old as well, and was reported hardly used. I had them do a nozzle check and a print, all looks really good.

Since we are going to be using this machine strictly as a proofer, I wanted to ask what paper and ink combo you use with your AX4 system?

Thanks,
RG

I currently use Epson Ultrachrome inks along with Epson Standard proofing paper 240 size 44" x 100 ft, results are great and I feel safe since I use Epson supplies (so one less variable to worry about in case the Epson print quality declines). Also, the Epson paper I use is Gracol-certified and costs half the price Agfa is asking for their media.

Sorry, one last thing... I guess you're using the Photo Black ink and not the Matte Black ink for proofing?

Thanks,
RG

Hello Colorblind,

We are having Agfa come in to add the EPSON 9800 to our AX4 and I was wondering what Ink Table/Quality Map you use with the 9800?

this is our first proofer outside the Sherpa series and we are using a non-Agfa paper as well, so I wasn't sure about profiles adn Ink Splitting Tables?

thanks,
RG

Quality Map and Ink Table are both 8P-AMDP250-UHQ-720. I use UHQ because I've seen strange patterns appearing on proofs when using HQ. I'm using Epson 240 Standard Proofing paper that I profiled using Sherpa CMS to generate and measure targets and ColorTune Profile to create the actual media profile. I guess you will calibrate your paper using QMSX since it's the only way to get an accurate ink table with the media you're using.

Thanks Colorblind, Agfa is calling me today to help install the 9800 and I will be sure that those Quality Maps/Ink tables are available after the install.

Gman, from what I learned yesterday any installation of a supported proofer on AX automatically comes with Quality/Ink tables for the specific device.

In fact, I ran a test using all the default paramaters in the prooferTP and the results were very close to our Press output. I was very pleased because I remember a time when tweaking colour profiles was something that would last all day long.

No, they helped my intsall the Printer over the phone. When I was done I ran QMSX using the 9800's default parameters and everything was good. Surprisingly.

Hi Colorblind, wondering if you had any insight into this issue with the 9800...

everything has gone very well with the installation of the 9800… I have never had so many rombus’ before… but now the Pressman is complaining about having to run really low densities to match it… eg. 15-20 points lower on yellow.

On the proof’s colourbar I can even see the yellow patch is noticeably lighter that what is on press. I am confused, QMSX gives me thumbs up but the Pressman doesn’t.

I am running the default profiles for 9800 in the Proofer TP and the NASS profile on the Press TP. Our Spectro has a brand new reference card for calibration.

Incidentally, we sometimes run overflow for other printers. We will use our plates but run to their proofs… then there isn’t a problem.

I am suspect of this NASS profile... is there a better generic ICC? The inks used on press are Hostmann-Steinberg Reflecta-ECO series (Canada).

Thanks,
RG

The Standard NASS profile that comes installed with ApogeeX 4 is, IMO, a bit outdated. It was created at least 7-8 years ago and is based on analog waterproof color data. I did output the IDEAlliance ISO 12647-7 colorbar using both Standard NASS and Gracol C1 (which is the press profile I use for commercial jobs) profiles in the press TP and the Standard NASS is less yellow overall (you clearly see that in the neutral tones as well as the skin tones) and colors seems to be a bit less saturated when I compare to a Gracol proof. So maybe you should try another press profile to proof the same job the pressman was complaining about and see if it better matches the first press sheets before he had to run yellow density down. I don't know what printing standard your shop uses but maybe you could hire a color consultant and get custom made profiles for your most common printing conditions, you could then use these icc profiles in your Press TP. Another thing: I think you mentioned in an older post that you weren't using Agfa proofing paper. The generic Agfa profile you use in your proofer TP may not exactly reflect the actual color you're getting with your generic inkjet proofing paper even though QMSX took care of the ink tables. I'm using Epson Standard 240 proofing paper and had to create a profile (using Sherpa CMS and ColorTune Profile) that I use in my proofer TP.

Much thanks again Colorblind,

I ended up downloading the Gracol C1-2006 ICC profile and applying it to the PressTP. Colour is better and Yellow is back up. Overall saturation and contrast seems to have improved as well. One thing in particular was reds have always been orangey in the proof, never a nice punchy red like what the press can pull, but now are representing it much closer.

Thanks again,
RG

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back