Keep away/Stay away

dkinsac

Been using Prepress 7.1 for 3 months now, I was just told that this system doesn't do keep aways. I find this very hard to believe. Is this true???

I'm running version 6 and it does keepaway traps automatically. Can you post a screenshot of your trap settings for comparison?

Keepaway

Keepaway

It's always been automatic in the other workflows I've used in the near past . . . Please see pict. Thanks!

Attachments

• Prepress_TRAP.jpg
    Prepress_TRAP.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 245
Looks pretty similar to mine, though I think I have one of those first 2 check boxes checked (not at work right now to check).

I assume you are seeing the problem with rich blacks? If so, what is your rich black build? Based on your screenshot, K would need to be 100% and your CMY could be whatever percentages you want.

By the way, who told you that you can't do keepaways?

I assume you are seeing the problem with rich blacks? If so, what is your rich black build? Based on your screenshot, K would need to be 100% and your CMY could be whatever percentages you want.

Long term Nexus (and other) user, and have not used this RIP, so please forgive my ignorance. Are stays limited to rich black? For a long time we've had them built into workflows for double hits of numerous custom inks. As I'm told this is an option the powers that be may be considering, I'd really appreciate if anyone could clarify this. Going back to the rich black workaround would be a real drag, not to mention we'd probably have to add a shift just to get the work through . . . sometimes thousands of pages a day.

Been using Prepress 7.1 for 3 months now, I was just told that this system doesn't do keep aways. I find this very hard to believe. Is this true???

I don't know who told you it doesn't work but Apogee Prepress has always and continues to automatically create "keep aways". The term we use is auto choke. It's primary use is to pull the color or colors under black away from the edge. But it can also be easily set up to apply to custom colors as well. I have attached an image showing auto choke in action. I increased the trap amount so it is more visiable. Hopefully you can see it.
Auto Choke.jpg
Phil Crosby - Senior Trainer - Academy - Agfa Graphics North America

Back at work now - I checked my settings and I do have the 2nd radio box checked ("Apply application trap zones"), but that's the only appreciable difference between our settings, other than trap sizes, corner shape and sliding traps color limit, none of which would have any effect on keepaways.

Long term Nexus (and other) user, and have not used this RIP, so please forgive my ignorance. Are stays limited to rich black? For a long time we've had them built into workflows for double hits of numerous custom inks. As I'm told this is an option the powers that be may be considering, I'd really appreciate if anyone could clarify this. Going back to the rich black workaround would be a real drag, not to mention we'd probably have to add a shift just to get the work through . . . sometimes thousands of pages a day.

I've never had occasion to do double hits with this workflow, but I did a little test and discovered that it will create a keepaway trap as long as the first hit PMS color is treated as black. To do that, you have to edit the ink density of the spot color to be equal to or greater than the color density setting you enter in the Black Trapping section. Then you make sure the 2nd hit has a lower density than the first hit so it will be pulled away from the edges.

Auto Choke is not explicitly located any where in the trap parameter set. There are however setting that control how big the auto choke is and when it takes place. The amount of the auto choke is controlled by the black trap width. If that is set to zero there will be no trapping against black and consequently no auto choke. In the bottom corner you will see a section labled "Black Trapping". In there there are two settings, one for color tint value and another for density. These two control the if auto choke happens. The default setting are that the color must be solid and reach a neutral density of at least 1.6. Here Dan is exactly right. If any color reaches a desity higher than 1.6 and is solid it will be treated as black and there for underlying colors will be auto choked.

Phil Crosby - Senior Trainer - Academy - Agfa Graphics North America

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back