Avantra 44 error 64

Hello Print Planet people.

I am new here, and I would like you to help me with this issue.

I have an Avantra 44 which has some hard problems.

It cannot recognize the "A Flappers Sensors" and the "Carriage Home sensor" (both attached to the Take Up SDM)
The A flapper load sensor is always ON, and the A flapper image sensor is always OFF, even if you put a piece of plastic on it as actuator. Also the home carriage sensor is always ON (as it was disconnected)

I tried with two different DEC Boards and four different SDM Boards and the problem continues.

The original SDMs are 503 boards, I exchanged both between them, but the problem persists. Then I put two 501 SDMs but they present another problem (I think for incompatibility), for that, I took the chips of the 503 Boards and then I installed them onto the 501 Boards, but the problem persists.

Any idea????:confused:

Thanks in advance.

Tony Blanco
REPROCOLOR S.A.
Costa Rica, Centralamerica.

Last edited:
Tony, put you efforts and attention on your slotted optocouplers (sensors) and their wires rather than SDM and DEC boards. You dig a deep hole in a wrong place and will never get the well.
You swapped up SDM - the same problem persists. That means - not SDM problem.

Yony,

You have 2 motors one on each side moving the Flappers up and down. Open the covers on those 2 motors and check the gears engagement and the sensors. Perhaps only one of them doesn't work properly. Also check the Flappers(Black pieces)itself. It might be misaligned. Open the nuts and Align them.
You are circuiting around and wasting time. Your approach wouldn't work.

Last edited:
Tony,
Farshad is correct. You need to make sure that both flapps move. You can check that the flaps work by going into the tool box and touch the flapper icon and hit the check mark twice. Both flapps should move to the drum and stay down. If one of the flapps does not move,you have a bad motor,or sensor flag is way out of alignment. If the flaps moves to the drum(load position) and in about 10 seconds both go back up (image position) flap is out of alingment.

Thanks VladCanada, Farshad and STSTech for answering and helping.

VladCanada was right, I finally fixed this problem re-wiring the Carriage Home Sensor connector on SDM and exchanging the optocoupler, the connector had the blue cable damaged. After repairing the home sensor, the flappers worked right. It seems the carriage home sensor produced a short circuit or something like that which produced the flapper problems. I can start the Avantra without errors.. but....

Now I have new problems. When I try to load the film, the feed rollers don't advance and produce error 6. I wonder if someone knows what is the connections diagram for J6 connector on Supply SDM.
The problem is the follow, on J6 there are the little connectors separate (without the connector cover) and I am not sure it they are in the right position. It's possible that the feed motor is connected on the spindle motor space for example. I need to be sure the connector on J6 are right attached.

Please, I need help!!! Thanks in advance.

Tony Blanco

Finally your problem hasn't been solved yet! Error 6 Media Jam. Can it be Flapper and the film not reaching the rollers properly?

Tony,

SDM connectors a real pain. I always had FE's calling me on how the connectors went together because they broke and could not remenber what order they went together. So what I did is I made a diagram of the SDM connectors with the color of the wires of
each connector. J6 is a 20 pin connector you should have the following red on pin 5, black on pin7,gray on pin9, orange on pin11
gray on pin13, and orange on pin 15. This for the J6 connector on the supply SMD.

STSTech

Thanks for answering.

Farshad, the problem is, the feed rollers don't advance when I try to load the film, but they do it right if I use the Avdiag=align/Feed Cal option. But if you have any idea about this behavior, please let me know. On the other hand, If I activate the flappers using the OCP (touch screen) they work right.

I see the feed supply motor is right, bacause it can be calibrated, but something is wrong with another part, could be a sensor, however, I requested a simple wiring diagram for J6 connector on Supply SDM, thanks STSTech for providing me one. I think there is something bad connected in the J6 connector on Supply SDM, because the cover of connectors is broken and the connectors are separate, and it's possible that one or more connectors are bad attached.

Thanks in advance.

Tony Blanco

Last edited:
Tony,
Do you get an error 6 on both spindles? Also when you tell it to load, does the carriage move to the middle of the drum?
One thing you could try is go into the hidden screen menu and turn errors off, and try and load.

STSTech

STSTech, thanks for answering. In fact, it presents the error 6 on both spindles. After press the load "A" cassette button (for eg.) the carriage goes to the middle of the drum, another pieces are prepared for the film, but then, the feed roller doesn't work, and the Avantra shows error 6.

Would you tell me, how can I access the hidden screen menu?

Thanks in advance.

Tony Blanco

--->
<---
Swap up SDMs again and check media loadind procedure.
If you have still the same problem - that's time to replace the motor at the middle roller.
I've met it many times and all reasons "why" were: carbon brushes wornt-out or/and motor gear box problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering.

Farshad, the problem is, the feed rollers don't advance when I try to load the film, but they do it right if I use the Avdiag=align/Feed Cal option. But if you have any idea about this behavior, please let me know. On the other hand, If I activate the flappers using the OCP (touch screen) they work right.

I see the feed supply motor is right, bacause it can be calibrated, but something is wrong with another part, could be a sensor, however, I requested a simple wiring diagram for J6 connector on Supply SDM, thanks STSTech for providing me one. I think there is something bad connected in the J6 connector on Supply SDM, because the cover of connectors is broken and the connectors are separate, and it's possible that one or more connectors are bad attached.

Thanks in advance.

Tony Blanco

Tony,

I can tell you concentrate on the wiring and connections first. You have screwed up something there.This is something I missed from start. I thought you didn't toch anything and it is a case of flapper problem.
Why the whole thing started in first place? Why so many connection problems and screw up wires? The only solution is to check wires and connections on SDMs.You know better than anybody what has been done as you have started the whole thing. Think simple and start all over again. The problem could be simpler than you think. Vlad is on this with you. I do not want to interrupt or get you confused.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering.

Thanks in advance.

Tony Blanco

Tony,

I can tell you concentrate on the wiring and connections first. You have screwed up something there.This is something I missed from start. Why the whole thing started in first place. Why so many connection problems and screw up wires? The only solution is to check wires and connections on SDMs. Think simple and start all over again. The problem could be simpler than you think. Vlad and STSTECH are on this with you. I do not want to interrupt or to get you confused.

Tony,

If you can send me a Private message with you email address, I will send you the proccedure to get into the secret screen. It is very important that you watch the Avantra feed film with errors off. The Avantra will go though a feed cycle,so it will feed 44+ inches of film and a jam may occur. The thing that is in your favor, is that the Avantra boots with no errors. Check some basic things first. Go to tool box and see if you can select different spindles,see if clamps cycle, also when the Avantra finishes it's boot, does the OCP screen show that there is film on the drum? I'm in agreement that you may have wrong connection, or bad SDM.

STSTech

Hello Friends.

I had a mistake, checking the Supply SDM, the problem is localized on connector J5 instead of J6. The cover of the connector is broken, for that reason I am not sure if they are in order.
From 1 to 6 pins are dedicated to Feed Motor but, I don't know, what do the other connectors control?

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Today I am working on it.

Thanks in advance.

Tony Blanco

Last edited:
Hello Friends.

I had a mistake, checking the Supply SDM, the problem is localized on connector J5 instead of J6. The cover of the connector is broken, for that reason I am not sure if they are in order.
From 1 to 6 pins are dedicated to Feed Motor but, I don't know, what do the other connectors control?

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Today I am working on it.

Thanks in advance.

Tony Blanco

Hi Tony,

I sent you some information. Please check your e-mail.

Hope this will help!

Thanks a lot Farshad, this information is the one that I need, it will help me to check all connections.

Best regards.

Tony Blanco

Tony,

One thing that you might have done, is reverse connector J1 and J4. Wiring for J1 is pin1 red, pin3 black, pin5 red, pin7 black, pin 10 plumb,and pin 11 white/purple. J4 wiring is pin 5 black, pin6 yellow, pin7 blue, pin9 black, pin10 yellow, pin11 blue,
pin13 red, pin14 orange,pin15 violet. J4 is your has supply cassette sensors,and supply media present sensor, J5 is supply media motor servo, J3 is supply spindle,interlock, supply jam plus two other sensors. J2 is punch. J6 is supply cassette select 1,plus 2
sensors.
Hope this is some help. I do not have all the data at this time,in front of me, to tell what is connected at each connectors.

STSTech

Thanks STS Tech, in a private message I sent you my email address for the info of hidden screen.
I will check all connections, is very good to check them with a reference like you posted , thanks a lot.

Best regrads.

Tony Blanco

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back