Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID3 effects through ApogeeX 4.0 PDF Print Engine

Hey everyone!!

Anyone having trouble submitting PDFs using the new InDesign CS3 effects such as Gradient Feather, etc through the Adobe Print Engine PDF Renderer in ApogeeX? Would have to double check all of the specs of the files, etc, if you need any more info but I just know any PDFs using these effects I have had to manually flatten the file before submitting to ApogeeX to get it the render. Any info much appreciated!!

Cheers, Tony

Re: ID3 effects through ApogeeX 4.0 PDF Print Engine

nm

Edited by: Jason on Apr 25, 2008 1:56 PM

Comment

Tony - let me know what you find out, we will soon upgrade to 4.0 here.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Steve,

Finally back at work today so I have had a play with this a bit further.

Created a blank page with a solid magenta box, then individually applied each of the effects from the new InDesign CS3 effects palette creating a new PDF for each effect to test. All of them rendered fine except for the Gradient Feather Effect. It would sit in Normalize for a few minutes and then just error, saying that Normalize was stopped during processing. All of the other effects processed extremely quickly and produced expected results. Only way I can get the Gradient Feather Effect to render is to flatten the PDF before dropping into ApogeeX 4.0.

So everyone out there, is anyone else having this error with PDFs featuring the Gradient Feather Effect from InDesign CS3? Maybe I should change the subject line on this now that I have narrowed it down a bit...

Cheers, Tony

Comment

If you have ApogeeX 4.0, why do'nt you use PDF-render. In this case no need use Normaliser for flatten transparencies.

Comment

Hi Sergey,

We are using the PDF Renderer but all of our hot tickets also have the Normaliser as well... Im new to this whole system. I've tried taking out the Normaliser TP and the job doesn't do anything then. Do I need to create a new hot ticket maybe?? What exactly is the Normaliser doing, its set to Acrobat 8 so I figured it would be keeping all of the transparency intact through to the PDF Renderer anyway??

Cheers, Tony

Comment

Normalizer creates PDF from PS data. If you're submitting PDFs then there is no need for Normalizer.

Comment

are you printing to a hot folder? or exporting a pdf and then running it through the normalizer tp?

We print to a Tcp/ip or appletalk hot folder and I created a test page with the gradient feather and had no problem, it went right through.

I also exported out of ID3 as a pdf and ran it through the normalizer tp and it went through.
                By the time I walk out of here, I'm going to be a lean, mean, prepress machine...

Comment

We had a job about two weeks ago that used a gradient feature. Sure enough, the Normalizer would crash when trying to process it. The PDFRender tackled it just fine though.

Cheers,
                  Jon Morgan
                  Hopkins Printing

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the new replies... I had kind of forgotten about this thread and still just flattening out any PDFs with this effect through Acrobat before submitting! Now I'm glad I came back to it...

So like I said I am new to this system and we've been running with the hot tickets as per the setup by AGFA when we had the installation done. We are not printing to the hot folder, basically just taking PDFs and dropping them into the hot folder for processing. All PDF, no postscript.

So if the Normaliser only deals with incoming PS data is it doing anything to these PDFs when they are submitted? I have tried removing the Normaliser TP from my plan (after submitting a job though) and the job doesn't progress anywhere then. Would I need to remove it from the actual Hot Ticket plan maybe??

If possible might some of you be able to send me a screen shot of your Hot Ticket setup so I could see where I'm going wrong with this please. That would be much appreciated!!

Oh and also for the record, had an AGFA tech up just two days ago doing upgrades to our ApogeeX server. I asked him about this and he said to try changing the Acrobat version in the Normaliser down to a lower version. Of course tried and no go, thats why I decided to come back and ask the experts

Cheers, Tony

Comment

Can you post a screenshot of hot ticket you used?

Comment

> flattening out any PDFs with this effect through Acrobat
                        This is very dangerous way. Acrobat have many bugs in flattening. We had a good luck, if our flattening was correct.

Comment

Hi Sergey,

Yea sure... Im on weekend break now (woohoo... beers!!) but when I get back on Monday I will post up a shot of our hot ticket and you can check it out.

Cheers, Tony

Comment

I agree its not the best way but its the only work around we have so far. Of course everything is proofed first before plates and approved by the customer so no trouble so far. I still don't want to be editing the supplied files this way but... Cheers, Tony

Comment

Hi Sergey,

Here's a screenshot of our hot ticket... Hope you can give me some informative feedback!

Cheers, Tony

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
                              Standard FinishingDuploAleyantCanonGraph Expo4 PeesLabelexpoKBAKBA4OverSmartsoft (Presswise)

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5130 users online. 103 members and 5027 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                              X