Apogee RIP Tuner problem

gplus

Hi guys, I recently recovered from a virus on the computer, now my Apogee RIP Tuner quits when launching...hesitating on re-installing RIP software (doesn't seem like it would be a usual quick installation and would require multiple steps). Any one have any thoughts as for a workaround/troubleshooting...I'm using a PC running XP and i believe the RIP software is 2.0.

I've tried system restores and different account logins...the only promise so far is when using alternate login names the RIP tuner connects but then when i go to preview a raster image the screen freezes and locks up...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

----------UPDATE--------------------------

Alright so Monday I used the Alternate user login and was able to connect all three components of the RIP: APOGEE PDF RIP, RASTER Preview Pilot, and RIP PILOT...It does seem slower with the alternate account and the problem I am having now is getting my file to show up in the Raster Preview window...it does go through the RIP PILOT but doesn't seem to show up in the JOB QUE or the raster preview folder...ANY IDEAS??

Edited by: drew on May 19, 2008 12:27 PM

Re: Apogee RIP Tuner problem

I might think if your computer is not running right you haven't really recovered from the virus and or attendant adware/spyware. If it was me, I'd scrub it, low level format and reinstall the OS factory fresh. Re-installing the RIP isn't so big a deal. You have to install the dongle driver and RIP, make sure the APIS driver (assumption here) is working properly. Hardest thing to remember is set up of the printer spool to the named pipe "\\.\PDFRip". You'd want to back up any modifications like transfer curves, rule maps, etc. Obviously with a compromised computer you want to take as few files as possible forward to the new setup. Put them on some other media and give it a good scan with very current signatures before putting it back on the repaired system. Murhpy's Law is what it is but an Apogee series 2 or 3 PDF RIP need not be a difficult install.

----------UPDATE--------------------------

Alright so Monday I used the Alternate user login and was able to connect all three components of the RIP: APOGEE PDF RIP, RASTER Preview Pilot, and RIP PILOT...It does seem slower with the alternate account and the problem I am having now is getting my file to show up in the Raster Preview window...it does go through the RIP PILOT but doesn't seem to show up in the JOB QUE or the raster preview folder...ANY IDEAS??

Edited by: drew on May 19, 2008 12:27 PM[/QUOTE]

You don't specifically say, but is Preview Server running? If not, it should be started after the PDF RIP has come online. I'd go in order: PDF RIP, RIP Pilot (connected to RIP), Preview Server, Preview Pilot.

Given your computer's problems, I'd make sure none of these modules are in a startup folder. There may be parts of Windows that are not fully online that the RIP needs, and the RIP is starting before they do.

Also, if you can, get that off XP and onto NT, 2K, whatever server version that software will work with. I've got an NT based Series2v2 RIP and PrintDrive that's been running non-stop with zero problems since 2002. Way better place for a RIP than XP. If you can't do that, at least make sure XP is fully updated, which is something like what SP2? A recent experiment showed early XP version boxes sitting on a residential high speed cable company provided WAN compromised by trojans, spyware, etc. in about four minutes. Yes, (4).

Also, and pardon me for being harsh about it, but if that computer was being used at all for email or web access, that has to stop. No amount of email or web use is worth taking that server down because of flaws in XP. The day's worth (or more) of downtime to reinstall the RIP on a clean slate is probably worth the cost of a cheap or Mac mini for those activities.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back