AGFA PrintDrive

irreality

I have a Galileo and I have Apogee PrintDrive, however I do not have the Dongle for PrintDrive, I was told that we may need one with open connect opened up in the dongle however Im not sure if I actually do, We are outputting to PrintDrive from Prinergy Evo. and we are manufacturing Plastic Cards.

If anyone has any suggestions as to which options we may need in the dongle... That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

OK now im really getting confused.... I have someone that is telling me it is possible to send PrintDrive files that are not 1 bitt tiff's - I mean I know it is possible to send other things DCS files and whatnot, but what are the benefits to that over the latter

I just need to know How I can send screened files from Prinergy Evo 5 to AGFA Printdrive. And what dongle Im going to need to make that happen.

HELP PLEASE !!!

According to my experience and what I was told by Agfa over a year ago, Prindrive can only store 1 bit data. They did tell me it can accept contone input, but screens it when it is input - exactly how and with what resource I don't know, I just asked out of curiosity when calling about something else and I never tried to give it any contones.

We use an AGFA RIP, so our input device type is "Agfa RIP Connection," whereas you probably need a TIFF input device. I don't think the physical dongle is different depending upon your licensed options, I think they just set something in the registry or a license file that is tied in with the dongle's serial number. I'm not sure if the Galileo is a specifically licensed option - if you can output to it currently then it probably isn't.

If you have a sales rep. from Agfa, you should contact them about the licensing. If not, try calling 1-800-TRY-AGFA. Ask them if you can have what they call a "software dongle" to test out a workflow. These are files they sometimes give out when customers are having dongle issues. They expire after a set time period, and usually unlock all of the Prindrive options. You may want to make sure you have the latest update also - I think it's "3F."

Ok things are getting slightly clearer now, I know I need to send 1 bit TIFF's to the PrintDrive (which is what i thought all along), since Prinergy will not send screened files to PrintDrive Unless they are indeed 1 bit tiffs. Now my Question today for the AGFA people is do I need OPENCONNECT to do this.

I guess I will call up AGFA today to find out. Thanks, But any further info would be appreciated.

Craig.

Ok now Ive got to the bottom of this, PrintDrive will accept Contone input - in the form of a DCS file. Now Ive been told (but dont believe) that the Print Drive will screen this data on output. I am only sceptical because Ive never even heard of this. And the DCS file that I input into the printdrive does not show a screening (in the preview pilot)- So we shall see what happens when we try to output a plate on friday, from these non screened contone files.... as far as trapping and everything else who knows.... Im kinda curious to see myself. But I have my doubts.

But now I have a better handle on the subject.

OH BTW if you have suceeded in using this method, I would love to hear from you.

Print drive is a digital storage box. We have used printdrive for 11 years. The print drive does not have any screening of any kind. It can descreen. It is able to send out the DCS file. The Galileo won't be able to do anything with the continious tone dcs.

HEHEHEHE.... thats what im telling them.... but nobody wants to believe the new guy. Anyways.... I will let you know how it turns out, when the galileo gets going....

Muahahaaa

Hi irreality,

Having been a long time PrintDrive user, here's what I know...

1. The dongle determines which licenses of PrintDrive will function. When adding a license to a PrintDrive dongle, Agfa usually sends you a second dongle containing the license and instructions on how to transfer the license from the temporary dongle to your main one. In the case of a Parallel port dongle, you simply piggyback the temp dongle onto the main dongle. With USB, you simply plug the temporary one in and follow the provided instructions. The WibuKey dongle software helps with this.

OR

In lieu of the above, Agfa can give you a temporary SOFTWARE dongle which will allow the PrintDrive to continue working while you send your hardware dongle back to Agfa for reprogramming.

2. PrintDrive does indeed accept pre-screened 1-bit TIFF data and can do so from non-Agfa workflows via an OpenConnect license (TIFF IN). Before the days of OpenConnect, TIFF IN was accomplished with non-Agfa workflows via a hardware board that had to be installed in your PrintDrive server.

3. I have never known PrintDrive to screen contone data for output nor have I ever known it to accept contone data (although I am not saying it can't). It can DE-SCREEN and downsample high-res data for output to a plotter/proofer via a Proofing Satellite license. It also has some file export features like TIFF out (or PDF out which I believe is just a composite TIFF with a PDF wrapper).

Does this help?

Cheers,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

I know that..... but some people dont seem to want to believe it until they see it.... anyways.....

So, as far as this goes..... We imaged some plates today, and it did exactly what I said it would do... nothing... anyways....

My next question.... probably belongs in another forum .... but alas - it started here - it ends here -

Is it possible to create a press curve modified screened DCS file from Prinergy ? I think it is...... Actually Im almost positive it is..... anyways.... I need some input here...

Thanks

hi

i have an issue with my apogee printdrive series 3, with open connect, i have it connected to an agfa galileo vs8 ctp, the thing is that i don't know how to configure it so it could receive 1 bit tiff files that i send from the harlequin 9

i did a test in the printdrive using a input device ( tiff type), and it did receive the file but, when it send it to the galileo, the galileo starts, and place the plate in the correct position, but does not start imaging, do you know whats going on, could you please help me?

i really appreciate all the help you could give me

best regards

thanks a lot

bye

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back