Win7 Untimate & Using Virtual PC (XP)

jbackus4

Has anyone tried using the Virtual PC (XP mode) with Windows 7 Ultimate? I am currently using Vista on my workstation and using an Agfa Apogee PDF RIP Series Certified 3 update 2 RIP and there are no Vista drivers to print from native apps. The PPD created from the RIP will not work in Vista but can work in XP.

Has anyone tried using the XP mode console in Windows 7 and print from native apps to this RIP?

Thanks to all in advance,
JohnB

Last edited:
Tried and failed

Tried and failed

I tried the downloaded PPD you suggested but I am still unable to install the print drivers for Agfa on my Vista computer. It may have something to do with NT being a Kernel type driver and Vista doesnt allow for Kernel dirvers. I really want to get this resolved so I dont have to keep back saving my files just to output to my Agfa Apogee Rip.

It is very important that you first load the PPD on the RIP computer's shared printer by right clicking on the printer and going to Properties - Advanced - Printer Driver. Then click NEW DRIVER OR UPDATE DRIVER and browse to the new PPD.

Next go to your design computer and connect to the new printer (delete the one with the old PPD). Once you connect to the new shared printer it will pull and assign that PPD to the new printer.

Will try that on Monday

Will try that on Monday

I will try your suggestion on Monday when there are no current job needing output. I worry I might not get the RIP back to its current state after trying. Keep your fingers crossed.

11-12-09 (UPDATE) I have a call into Agfa to see if they will send me their latest print drivers for my PDF RIP. Vista only came out one year after they started ApogeeX so I would be surprised if they didn't already have what I need. If not, then we will have to reconsider the possible purchasing of ApogeeX. If Agfa can not continue support of their systems for newer OS's than we might have to look elsewhere. Not everyone can stay on top of the latest RIP technology especially when the current system is stable and long lasting.

I am still concerned that making any changes could alter the RIP in a way I could not recover from.

Last edited:
The apogee system uses the PPD to set all it's options and configurations.
While using a generic Harlequin rip ppd might get yo0u working, it will not give you all the configuration options you have using the Agfa XP driver.

your system was intended to generate it's own ppd and associated oemsetup.inf file using AgfaSet 4, which was provided with the rip. Unfortunately I don't think any of that has been updated to work with vista.

If you're considering a Rip upgrade, you might look into a Harlequin Rip. They are simple and powerful, as well as inexpensive. And they work well with new operating systems...
We're currently running our demo/shop rip system in a Win7 64 bit box, running the rip's in 32 bit vertual machines, outputting thru a xitron blue box on usb, no problems at all.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back