ApogeeX and Preps

mizark

I am currently using client version 1.33.20 of ApogeeX AND Preps version 4.2.3 build 530. How do I know when to upgrade my preps to a newer version? Would I have to holler at Afga for the answer?

Re: ApogeeX and Preps

The best upgrade to Preps is Impostrip from Ultimate Technographics. Impostrip will accept Preps templates and automate your imposition through hot-folders and dynamic templates. Ultimate also offers a free upgrade service plan. The Ultimate Preps productivity bundle will get you up to speed.

"The best upgrade to Preps is Impostrip from Ultimate Technographics. Impostrip will accept Preps templates and automate your imposition through hot-folders and dynamic templates. Ultimate also offers a free upgrade service plan. The Ultimate Preps productivity bundle will get you up to speed."
------

That may or may not be true, but that's not what the question was. Since you obviously work for Ultimate, should you not mention this when you give an answer like that? It's this type of blatant, but subversive, "salesmanship" that turns many real users off.

The best upgrade to Preps is Impostrip from Ultimate Technographics. Impostrip will accept Preps templates and automate your imposition through hot-folders and dynamic templates. Ultimate also offers a free upgrade service plan. The Ultimate Preps productivity bundle will get you up to speed.

That may or may not be true, but that's not what the question was. Since you obviously work for Ultimate, should you not mention this when you give an answer like that? It's this type of blatant, but subversive, "salesmanship" that turns many real users off.

Sorry my bad. I work at Ultimate. And yes you should call Agfa to upgrade your copy of Preps or maybe Kodak.

Hi Mizark,

As far as when to upgrade, I am not certain that there is a better time than another. ApogeeX supports the feature set of Preps up to version 5.1.5. In terms of acquiring the upgrade, you would most likely need to contact either your Agfa reseller or Kodak direct. I say Agfa resller because we bought the upgrade to Preps 5 with our ApogeeX upgrade from Series 3 so when it came time to get the upgrade, I believe Agfa handled it. Our other copies will be handled outside of Agfa.

We are currently using version 4.1 of Preps Plus for making our templates and version 5.1.5 of Preps Pro for generating cutting data for our Polar cutters and all is working well. We plan to upgrade our 4.1 software to 5.x but we are waiting until Kodak addresses a "bug" so that Preps can define a spine/gutter as either a cut or a fold (version 5.3.2 is slated to address this I am told) so that cutting data is more accurate.

Although other imposition products may very well do the job for you, consider how much money you've probably already invested in Preps (let alone the Preps Template Manager license you bought with ApogeeX) and the fact that you are already familiar with Preps and how it works. We've tinkered with Preps 5 and don't really see much difference in how we will do our work after we upgrade.

Does this help?

Happy Thanksgiving,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

Edited by: Jon Morgan on Nov 21, 2007 10:51 AM

Edited by: Jon Morgan on Nov 21, 2007 10:52 AM

Edited by: Jon Morgan on Nov 21, 2007 10:53 AM

Obviously pre-press sales guys haven't twigged that this sort of salesmanship does not cut any sort of mustard with seasoned repro professionals who have lived for years in the land of a thousand lies ;-)

thanks dude.. I just got word that preps 5.2.2 works well with apogeex 3.0. so we'll see what happens when I order it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back