Focoltone Question

Re: Focoltone Question

Kyle,

Not only does the light diffusion cause the region around the dot to have a lower reflectance, it also results in the dot having light come up through it from the substrate. This would make the dot look lighter than a solid even if it had the same ink film thickness. FM screens in particular would show an increase in gamut in the vertical (L) direction due to the combined thinner ink film of the dot and due to more of the diffused light coming up through the thinner dot.

As I have been told, if one had layers of different ink or a mixture of the same proportions, the reflectance would be the same. Not sure if this is totally correct but that is what I have been told.

There is also the condition that the light reflected comes from different locations. Some goes through the ink and is reflected off the paper surface. Some goes into the paper and is diffused and then comes out in slightly different locations. Of course the ink is filtering parts of the spectrum of this light as it travels through the ink films.

But light is also reflected off particles internally in the ink film and that light never reaches the paper. You were commenting on mixing all four process inks. If you mixed C,M and Y, the too simple theory suggests that you should get black but as most printers know, you only get some kind of muddy dark colour. Also even if the ink film (CMY mix) would be very thick that does not result in black. This is due to light reflecting of the individual particles of pigments in the inks. So a normal ink film of black ink would be darker than the very thick film of CMY mixture because the black ink absorbs more of the total light while the pigments in the CMY mix still reflect parts of the spectrum.

Some light is reflected off the ink surface. Dryback is related to the difference in light reflected off the ink surface when the ink is wet and more glossy and when the ink is dry and has a slightly rougher surface.

There are lots of interesting and complicated phenomena involved and it's a bit easier to imagine what happens on coated paper but uncoated makes it even more complicated.

I used to think that modeling reflectance was useful and understanding the details of optical dot gain etc. was important but now it is much simpler in my mind. Dot gain is something for only process control at the press but not for colour management. In my view there is no place in the future for dot gain or TVI data in colour management.

So interesting but in the long run it could be better to have methods developed that don't need much thinking. Just the do the right steps with the right technology that ensures predictability, if that is possible. Always fun to think about.

Re: Focoltone Question

Kyle,

On your 2 examples on tint values, Focoltone happened to have the ink mix fomulae.
Parts per 100 gms ink mix,
.......................C..........M........Y.........K......Tran. white
FCS 3427.....60.53.....28.29...…0…...11.18..….0
FCS 5051….10.14…..13.82….1.70…....0…...74.34

X 10 = gms per Kilo or divide 6.25 = oz. per lb.

Focoltone colors are CMYK combinations, thus can be printed within CMYK color gamut.

Focoltone

Focoltone

Hi all

I used to sell Focoltone mainly in London and also the rest of the UK and it was well received by designers though viewed with sceptisism by the likes of London Graphics and other resellers who sold Pantone swatches etc.

The whole system was very well laid out and impeccably printed, though I have to say that some of its main features such as the common CMYK colour element and the dot gain compensation programme have been superseded by later developments in Quark and Indesign.

Unfortunately we were always chronically underfunded with no advert coverage in Design Week, Print Week and Campaign magazines ever taking place to my knowledge.Though we did go to a number of shows such as DRUPA.

This led to a very low profile in the market place, and when John Humphrey and Ann Humphrey and her father sold the system's intellectual rights to Winson Lan in Singapore the writing was on the wall, and it was not a lot longer before it ceased to be sold in the UK.

A sad end to a promising product.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back