Anyone using Epson 9900/7900 proofing edition?

Colorblind

Was just wondering if anyone is using the Epson 9900/7900 proofing edition (bundled with EFI Colorproof) to get some feedback about the product.

We have a 9800 with colorproof XF. Not sure how different the 9900 is. We use it for more than just proofing. We print posters and banners on it too. The only bad thing I can say about it is, if your going to print more than just proofs the black ink is not very black. Its meant to be a photo black and looks for grey when printing "spot" black. They do make another black in place of it, but it requires a kit to purge the system and replace it. You cant to back and forth with it, so if your proofing with it you are stuck with lousy black. The efi software is easy to use. We haven't had too many problems with it.

We are looking at the same proofer and are currently comparing the different RIP solutions. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

We use 7910,speed is fast enough,but the consistency of printhead is not perfect.Use EFI,the proof paper will be some yellowish,and the gray balance has some issue.
the proof software we use is EFI 4.0

Hondarr9 and Bloodsaler,

Do you print proofs to some kind of standard (Gracol, SWOP, ISO) and verify the result using EFI tools along with a spectro? How is color consistency when doing so? Are you using Epson paper? Thank you for your feedback.

Do they still come with EFI color? I am currently using a 7900 with GMG rip proofing to Gracol7 with great success.

Not use Epson paper,use Easicolor EP515 proof paper.I have tested our proof using EFI verify tool,but found not all the parameter through the standard~~Especially the highest Delta E part.

9900s get my vote

9900s get my vote

We use Epson 9900s with an Oris rip. We proof SWOP and Gracol and verify the proofs with Cert Proof software from Oris. The proofs are generally within 3 DeltaE of spec. We used 9800s before replacing them with the 9900s. The 9900s are a far superior product IMO. Very stable.

We use Epson 9900s with an Oris rip. We proof SWOP and Gracol and verify the proofs with Cert Proof software from Oris. The proofs are generally within 3 DeltaE of spec. We used 9800s before replacing them with the 9900s. The 9900s are a far superior product IMO. Very stable.

Vieper, what are you using on the front end? I am using Prinergy Connect. I have my PT set to 2 pages across (1" gutter") and 1 up with auto rotate. I am having problems with when I send >2 pages, it will print out the pages off the end.

If I have a poster 36 x 18, it will print right off the end...basically prints like I see it...

Is there a way to set something in the printer or ORIS software?

Thanks,

We are running the Epson 9900 with inline Epson/X-rite SpectroProofer with Kodak Matchprint Inkjet Kodak Proofing Software RIP (proofing to Fogra39) in our showroom. We can also use our i1 or i1-iO in place of the inline spectro for calibration and media wedge confirmation. When using supported Kodak Matchprint inkjet proofing media, the entire system is turnkey "out of the box" solution for standards based proofing such as ISO, SWOP etc.

Stephen Marsh

What inkjet proof deltaE is commonly referring to?

What inkjet proof deltaE is commonly referring to?

Hi Vieper, When you say within 3 DeltaE spec, you're referring to what chart & which deltaE standard, please?

Last edited:
I can't speak for Vieper but I am also running the Epson Stylus 9900 with integrated spectro driven by CGS-ORIS ColorTuner Web RIP and CGS-ORIS Certified Proof (also available as Certified Web with integration for digital printing). We use the IdeaAlliance ISO 12647-7 control strip (you can use FOGRA or other standard bars or create your own as long as the integrated spectro can read them). You can utilize 1 of 4 available dE specifications: dE, dE94, dE2000 and dE CMC2:1.

Another standard feature of the ColorTuner Web RIP and Certified Proof allows you to also print dynamic color control strips of spot colors that can be read and measured in-line by the spectro in conjunction with your standardized color strip. You can actually measure how accurate the proofer is at simulating spot colors. Extremely detailed reporting is also a standard feature.

I researched and compared various solutions to drive and certify proofs before deciding on CGS-ORIS. I could not be happier with my current CGS-ORIS solution. I should mention that I am in no way employed or given any incentive to push/brag about the performance of CGS-ORIS products.

Last edited:
thanks

thanks

Hi Chevalier, thanks for your reply and sharing. I guess Vieper is referring to similar MW2/3 or Idealliance Control Strip which is 54, 48, 72 patches in number, and dE76 is mostly default I guess.

A little sharing is that, depends on the chart you use, the peak/average deltaE76 results differently naturally:
FograMW2 (48patches) -- dE Peak 2.4 / Av 1.3
FograMW3 (72patches) -- dE Peak 2.8 / Av 1.3
IT874R (1617 patches) -- dE Peak 4.8 / Av 1.4
*Ideallaince Control Strip (54 patches) -- dE Peak 2.6 / Av 1,3 [estimated]
[Similar finding in setup like EFIv4 / Epson 9900 / EFI 4245 or Epson SPP205 paper using default drivers:
FograMW3 -- dE Peak 1.8 / Av 0.7
IT874R -- dE Peak 2.8 / Av 0.6 using built-in Spectroproof spectro
Peak 3.0 / Av 0.8 using external ISIS]

Thus for validation wedge reading dE(76) 2.5/1.5 is pretty marginal; 2/1 is common; 1.5/0.5 is good. (when the chart is IT874R or ECI2002 -- these numbers will be expanded to dE Peak/Av: 5/1.5 as marginal; 4//1 as common; 2/0.5 is good)

The logic is simple, when dE peak is naturally higher in thousand-patches profiling chart than hundred-patch validation wedges; equally when there're thousand wedges to be averaged, the average dE will be slightly lowered)

Another interesting to note is drying time must be 10 minutes or more depends on substrate; even measuring the same profiling chart, the peak dE can have a 0.8 difference! [naturally I'll discount 0.4dE from whichever peak value measured due to this finding]; not to mention inter-instrument deviation and brand to brand deviation of delta-E being claimed to be 0.3~0.8 for inter-instrument and more than dE1 for brand to brand]

Numbers....are just to be taken carefully, IMO.

BTW, can you share a bit the gamut volume or accuracy of the EPSON 9900 / Oris?

Last edited:
We hold GRACoL tolerances without issue with the exception of paper white. GRACoL paperwhite is is 3dE - we consistently stay below 3.5dE with paper white. Being realistic and being a packaging operation we choose an ORIS paper that most closely matched our SBS board and not the most optimal stock for hitting GRACoL. The paper is only marketed as SWOP capable but we have held this near-GRACoL without issue. CGS-ORIS papers are the without a doubt the most consistent proofing papers I have ever dealt with. As far as drying time goes I experimented with varying drying times with what I would describe as negligible differences.

We also have a FinalProof to proof directly on board upon request. I have been able to achieve the same tolerances with it without issue. ORIS certified proof can also be fed data by other spectros and we offline scan our FinalProofs with an i1 into a separate database. We have found that FinalProof more accurately proofs especially UV work because it is a true dry trap and uses actual halftone dots. The Epson is of course capable of halftone dot proofing at 175lpi but given our FinalProof capability we currently did not see the need in investing more money than necessary into the Epson proofer.

To summarize - what matters most currently for us is whether the press operators can match proofs within set tolerances with minimal or no adjustment. That is of course a "general" accuracy but we aren't a laboratory. If we are meeting or preferably exceeding customer expectations I feel like we are doing a great job and on the right track. This goal has been absolutely achieved. Of course there is always room for improvement. As far as gamut goes achieving ideal CMYK is never an issue - achieving spot colors is limited by the proofer itself. Even 11 ink channels can only go so far.

I would provide data showing proof achieved gamut to desired gamut as well as variability of our proofs over a 6 month period but due to company policy I am verboten from sharing such data. Sometimes CGS-ORIS patrols the forum - perhaps they can upload some sample data.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back