Quick color management question

jonfisher

As I've stated previously, I'm relatively new to color managing a digital prepress workflow, so I want to make sure I've got my facts straight.

RGB Source profile should be the same ICC profile that the Adobe apps on my system are using. In my case, Adobe RGB (1998). Is this correct, or should it be set to my monitor's ICC profile created with an i1?

CMYK Simulation should be the same ICC profile that the Adobe apps on my system are using. In my case, U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. Correct?

Output profile should be an ICC profile created by an i1 that is unique to each type of paper I use in the printer. Correct?

Re: Quick color management question

Jon
its really simple
rgb to cmyk profiles used when converting rgb images to cmyk - are developed from presses set up to print under certain printing condition.
If you print to ?????condition then thats the profile that should be used.

Peter

Your application "Source Profile" really does you no good/negative good -
if you do not have profiles tagged to the images you are placing for the application to "assume" what that source profile is -
or the file is already prepared in your "assumed RGB or CMYK color space.
The key factor is having all files tagged with some profile.
If you are in a closed loop - you can work within a color space and then not tag your files ...
because you are working in the color space in which your other applications "assume" you are working.

MSD

Like so many things, like life, in fact, there's no "should" or "shouldn't." It all depends on what you're trying to achieve. :)

Jon,

1 point of caution - never use a monitor profile for anything other than your monitor output. In otherwords only assign your monitor profile in the display settings in Colorsysnc.
That said, if you're making conversions in Photshop, your RGB profile is either what is assigned/taggged with the image file, if there is one, or whatever you wish to work with as the default. You can, however, choose whatever RGB colorspace you wish if it gives better starting RGB, especially if no profile was embedded in the image.
When you convert to CMYK the profile you should use should be generated from the printing condition the file is intended for, if you have one, or choose the standard ones from the Adobe suite that closely represents the condition - ie, SWOP for publication, Coated for commercial sheetfed/GRACoL (Adobe hasn't provided the true GRACoL profile yet). These profiles should be created with appropriate color separation paramaters- GCR, Max Dens, Black start point, etc. for the printing condition/separation characteristics desired.
The simulation part is used when you are trying to simulate a printing condition on a proofer that does not have the print condition(profile) established on the proofer/RIP. I find trying to create simulation files for proofers not too reliable.

"Coated for commercial sheetfed/GRACoL (Adobe hasn't provided the true GRACoL profile yet)"

It's true that Adobe has not provided a GRACoL2006_Coated1 profile yet. It's also true that nobody should be using any Sheetfed profile provided with Adobe apps.

If a printer is printing to the international standard via GRACoL2006_Coated1v2 (NPDC method) or FOGRA39 (TVI method), then a "Sheetfed" separation form Adobe will print too light.

If in doubt, ALWAYS use Adobe's SWOP profile - no matter what paper you're printing on (unless you're a printer and have to change the TAC of the file for it to print on a very low TAC paper like newsprint, then you know what to do).

Adobe's U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 at least has the same NPDC as GRACoL2006_Coated1v2, so the separation will look close to what was intended anyways (better than that old "Sheetfed" profile by any means of comparison).

I wish people would stop telling others to use an old profile that doesn't even do as well as the default SWOP. I don't care if the old profile has "Sheetfed" in the name - it should NOT be used any longer (unless you're still going to film and pulling 3M/Imation Matchprints - which is what this old "Sheetfed" profile describes).

So if you're not still going to film and producing Matchprints, then PLEASE either download the correct GRACoL2006_Coated1v2 profile from gracol.org or use the default SWOP profile. Better yet, get your printer on board and ask them do they print to GRACoL2006_Coated1v2, since it is the latest specification of the international standard available in the U.S., and that you need to design and separate your job for the international printing condition, and they need to be printing to it, so that you can know what color you'll get on press BEFORE they proof or print it.

People need to let the OLD Matchprint Sheetfed profile die - there are standards and this doesn't describe the latest standards.

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back