Starting bad habbits

Paultheprinter

Hi there,

I went into a printers last week who run three rolands, one a roland 200, a 700 being commisioned this week and a 900XXL. I happened to notice that roland were setting the press up K,M.C,K ! the MD asked why on my behalf and was ignored. After a planet print forum education i had to inform the MD that he should condsider K,C,M,Y but he was convinced that Roland would be right. If we are trying to standardise colour throught the industry and ISO numbers require a certain colour sequence why arnt the manufactures on board. Please note this is a UK company and from what i can summise the USA seems more focused and would not accept issues like this. Any input would be appreciated.

Paul

edit:Spelling errors

Edited by: Paul Green on Feb 10, 2008 5:06 PM

Re: Starting bad habbits

>I happened to notice that roland were setting the press up K,M.C,K !

Hi Paul,

So not only C,M reversed, but Black instead of Yellow as well? Perhaps you didn't catch all the spelling errors after all?

Al

Hey, Paul.

So, what's the sequence? And, something else I don't follow. Why do you say that Roland was setting up the press in that sequence? The units of a press are ink agnostic - you can put any color you choose into the fountain.

Now, if these folks are into packaging - then it's pretty common to run in a "lightest to darkest" sequence to avoid contamination/backtrapping.

rich

Hi Rich,

there running K,M,C,Y . the reason i posted is because you wont hit the iso 12647 overprint values if you put red down before blue. And if a press is set up and profiled this way then the company wont want to rock the boat and change. This then creates a sitution where printers only match there proofs in house, with customers becoming more educated and expecting consistant corperate colours this approach is not a sensible long term option. I would expect most press manufactures to profile there presses to take advantage of ISO compliance at installation stage instead of setting the company up for a fall.

Paul

Paul
I am not sure I quite agree - with the disruption of a new press - I wouldn't want to embark on changing my companies "colour standard" .
Unless there was client pressuree on me I would leave well alone - until the press had settled down and then start .

Peter

The standard has been K-C-M-Y if it is something other then that the ink tack needs to be verified from the ink manufacturer.
If the tacks of the inks are incorrect you will have major back trap issues.

Edited by: macphenom on Feb 11, 2008 6:25 PM

As far as ISO is concerned - CMY with K at front or back is not manditory and i have seen MCY overprint values clloser to ISO than CMY

The reason that printers in the UK print MCY is because they think that there are more relex blue CMY colours than dark reds and prefer to print the magenta tint on the paper first and then put the solid Cyan on top - to avoid mottling.

Having now turned around to CMY and print to ISO colour weights -I have not seen mottling

Peter

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back