Ink Saving solution?

I was advised that some Ink Saving solutions would require the user to buy profiles if they wanted to use the product with a different output device. I believe this is the case for GMG, and could be the case for others, so this was just a general comment.

Some people have already sent me some test files, and depending copyrights to any of these files, I will report on the results acheived.

Regards,
Smitty

Patrick, When will the new version be out and will the upgrade be free? I am considering purchase of ECO and want to be sure I get the newer version.....Thanks,

Anyone is using any ink saving solution like alvan cmyk optimizer, cgs ink saver, gmg ink optimizer or rampage inkdrop?

- What is your experience with your solution?

- Does it really work? (do you save ink?)

- how does it integrate with your ripping workflow?

- does it change color visually??

Hi Stargate,

Here’s some feedback from customers using PerfX Device Linkâ„¢ ICC device link profiles:
– Experience: So easy to use. Takes 10 minutes to create high quality devicelink profile.
– Does it really work?: Yes, they now use ICC device link GCR and ink saving for every job with no fear!
– Integration in ripping workflow: most ripping workflow are compatible to use ICC device link directly. most people don’t know that. So easier to set, without changing existing workflow setup.
– Does it change color visually?: NO. GCR and ink reduction (TAC) made with PerfX’s technology allows to preserve and match vivid and dark colors without visual differences.

In resumé, easy to use, many benefits and last but not the least: their clients (print buters) are happy!

Louis

know your stuff

know your stuff

The problem is for most potential users, you just don't know which solution is good or bad and you don't know how to test it. The files you submit for a sample are not enough as they cannot show the entire potential gamut. What happens if the files are already GCR'd? Most of the solutions submitted here are just a check box. There is no real evaluation of the profile. With CGS you not only get a visual quality check of the profile you get a dynamic control that visually shows you the maximum that you can safely apply. We also give you the tools to smooth and adjust the profile. I don't believe any of these other solutions do that. The one with "intelligence" to do the right amount, well, you should talk to me. We are not the cheapest but we are the most flexible, highest quality and we can prove it. We don't over GCR files that are already GCR'd. Most of the systems set their level low enough to "optimize" printing and it does but you are leaving a lot of money on the paper. That is the difference. You don't have to test the point at which you will get into trouble with CGS. It shows you! Then there is this whole integration issue. ORIS can act as a plug-in to most RIPS (Meaning it uses your rip) or it can be a standalone processor. You can make an unlimited amount of profiles. BTW, See if your potential GCR solution can pass Ghent Group test files or Altona. Can they take in all file formats? separated, composite and just about any flavor. It does OPI, email, ftp, complete preflight, ability to mark objects to exclude, complete PS/PDF editing. These and more are all included with the CGS solution.
I won't be monitoring this thread but please go to Welcome to CGS! for contact information and to ask further questions.

What happens if the files are already GCR'd?

What… you have a problem with files that are already GCR'd?

We also give you the tools to smooth and adjust the profile. I don't believe any of these other solutions do that.

What… need to adjust… not good from the first try?

Then there is this whole integration issue. ORIS can act as a plug-in to most RIPS (Meaning it uses your rip) or it can be a standalone processor.

Standard ICC device link profiles work directly into compatible (most of them) RIP. Just have to select the ICC devicelink profile… no integration issue.

You can make an unlimited amount of profiles.

Using spcialized software (like PerfX Device Link Proâ„¢) to create ICC device link profiles, you can also create unlimited amount of profiles.

Louis

Alwan Ink Optimizwe / Eco Version

Alwan Ink Optimizwe / Eco Version

We are currently testing this product and so far it is everything we had hoped. The pressmen love it. We are showing significant ink reduction. We have been working with Dave Hunter (Pilot) 651 717 0590. He has been very helpful......good luck

We are currently testing this product and so far it is everything we had hoped. The pressmen love it. We are showing significant ink reduction. We have been working with Dave Hunter (Pilot) 651 717 0590. He has been very helpful......good luck

Dear eseals,
What is your RIP workflow?
Have you considered to use ICC Device Link right into your workflow?

Louis

We are using a PDF workflow, Prinergy, and Insite Proofing

With Prinergy, it is so simple to "apply" ICC device link profile!
Just have to select the ICC device link into the Color Management setup of yout process plan. That’s all!

You should also check for this option!

Louis

a new alternative....

a new alternative....

.....is about to hit the market.

GCR is nice.
But, would you like to save ink more aggressively while also increasing quality if you choose?

We are launching some revolutionary technology that will totally separate itself from the hot and crowded field of CGS, GMG, Alwan and others.

Our customers have looked hard at CGS and Alwan.
They installed our new product and literally freaked out....;-)

This is from acompnay that is backed by one the original executives at Adobe and seemlessly integrates with Prinergy. (I worked at Scitex for 9 years.)

Please let me know if you would like more info.

....is about to hit the market.

GCR is nice.
But, would you like to save ink more aggressively while also increasing quality if you choose?

We are launching some revolutionary technology that will totally separate itself from the hot and crowded field of CGS, GMG, Alwan and others.

Our customers have looked hard at CGS and Alwan.
They installed our new product and literally freaked out....;-)

This is from acompnay that is backed by one the original executives at Adobe and seemlessly integrates with Prinergy. (I worked at Scitex for 9 years.)

Please let me know if you would like more info.
Edit/Delete Message

OK, I will attempt to clarify.....

OK, I will attempt to clarify.....

Caveats:

1. I am a sales/marketing "type" but also business owner.
2. We are the sales/marketing arm of Fine Eye Color.
3. We also own and operate an inkjet media converting facility
4. We distribute EFI RIPs to over 50 resellers in North America

Dmitri, J, Gordo - (Yes, Dmitri, I am aware of your XF tech issues...;-)

We are in the process of launching a product called ICEsaver (FineEye -- Home). We will be showing this at the IPA Conference in June where our VP of Technology is this year's Conference Coordinator. Before launching this, we tested it thoroughly at 3 customer sites. One had Oris Ink Saver, one had Alwan. I write best in bullets:

1. Mac-based server product that incorporates an Intelligent Color Engine - "ICE" - to process CMYK PDFs before the CTP RIP. all hot folder based and integrates into ANY worflow.
2. Two basic versions......with or without a custom media/ink profile. If optimal results are desired, you send us a full printed sheet and some virgin stock and we create a custom profile.
3. The basic concept is that the ICEsaver server creates CMYK separations based on the characteristics of your press, paper and ink. The "chromaticity" of the job goes on the CMY plates while the contrast or "luminosity" goes on the K plate. NOT GCR.....repeat.....NOT GCR.

Result:

Significant gamut gains in saturated colors
Protection of fragile tonality
Skin tones
Highlight transitions
Shadow transitions
Bullet-proof gray balance
Increased Dynamic Range
Improved Contrast, Detail, Depth of Field

Optimize Printing to the Paper Stock
Optimize ink flow
Optimize the Separation for the Paper Stock
Redistribute ink for how the press best prints
Reducing back-trapping
Improving chemical trap
Normalizing ink distribution

Normalized ink distribution
Improved ink take off
Faster up-to-color make-ready
Better in-line color control
CMY units print color (a*/b*)
K unit prints luminosity and contrast (L*)
Increased Neutral Stability
More consistent gray balance
Less waste
- Paper
- Time
- Ink......more aggressive than all the "GCR guys" with increase in saturation

Works on AM and FM screening.
Yes, you can pump color into FM work....!!!

Why we prefer ICEsaver vs. Alwan and others?
- Only solution that offers increased gamut, noticeable quality improvement and ink savings
- Solves fundamental problems on press first which result in ink savings
- As a result, ink savings are much more aggressive
- MUCH easier to use and install (one hour install....one hour of training)

as we are also experts in inkjet RIPs and paper, we have also developed a proofing methodology. If you print with wider gamut, you will need a wider gamut proof and many papers will not hold up.

and.....the best of this.....it works on wide format, grand format and digital print.
That's what "lit our wick".

[email protected]

Ian,

This all sounds great - and claims (on your website) of up to 40% ink savings while maintaining the appearance of the originals.
Fortunately, such a solution can be tested by printshops.
Here is one such test: Quality In Print: GCR Reseparation for ink savings and color stability in offset printing - part 8 of 8

It's too bad that given the proliferation of these kinds of solutions that there is no "Consumer's Report" type organization that can do an objective, independent analysis of the various claims made by competing vendors. It seems it's every printer for themselves.

best, gordon p

It's too bad that given the proliferation of these kinds of solutions that there is no "Consumer's Report" type organization that can do an objective, independent analysis of the various claims made by competing vendors. It seems it's every printer for themselves.

Agree with you Gordo!

Louis

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back