Ink Saving solution?

Hi Magnus,
Sorry it took me a while to get this done even though it was an easy test and small files. Real work first!
First let me say we don't yet normalize to PDFx4. I will explain what that means in a second. Also let me also say there are a number of options in the PDF Normalizer for excluding and marking object types, etc. However, I opted to set ORIS to GCR everything regardless of overprint status, etc.

The results were interesting.
In our PDF-PDF engine, which only color corrects objects, it did not matter which file the x1a or the x4 the image part under the tint was left alone and so there is a lighter black area under the magenta tint. Also note that a PDFx4 remains a PDFx4. If the magenta box was a 4/c box instead this would have been left alone too. This is important because when you have transparencies you must maintain the visual look and the only way to do that without flattening first is not GCR it.

In our PDF Normalizer function we rewrite the PDF to make them all standard such as PDF/X1a or PDFx3, etc. I chose to create PDFx3 out of them because we don't write PDF/x4 yet. In this case the black area under the magenta tint got darker because it took the composite/flattened view of the area and so there was more gcr that could be applied.

Of course with all separations on, all the files from both methods look identical.

So which is correct? They both are but in the case of variable data you may get into an issue if you are doing plate changes only. That does not matter with either method, they both will cause a difference in the area under the transparent obect. This is why ORIS has a preflight setting that can bypass GCR if it has overprinting process colors other than black.

So the difference between the two methods: Flattening first will give you greater ink savings over the object only GCR. Both methods would introduce plate change issues unless, like ORIS (okay my pitch, ;-) ) have the ability to detect that there are overprinting process colors.
Regards,
Bruce

Hi,

We have been testing a Alwan CMY Optimizer Eco 3.8v Demo for the past 3 weeks.

I have 1 silly question and a regular one:

1) There is something in the market that tops this soft and cost less?
2) It seems that Alwan produce new versions really often, it is because it has to many bugs or the market is moving too fast?

Thanks

Gaston

InkSaver

InkSaver

PuzzleFlow InkSaver is automated ink optimization software that can reduce your use of CMY inks (or toner) by as much as 25%. This can represent significant cost savings on press. However, PuzzleFlow InkSaver goes beyond saving you money, it can actually improve the quality of your printed work.

http://www.puzzleflow.com/solutions/inksaver

I know for a fact that Colorgate production server 6.0 has ink saving technology in the rip. I heard it saves about 30% of ink being used.(don't quote me on that) We currently have 6.0 but are not using it yet so I don't know how it affects color. They say it won't change, but have yet to test that theory. All-in-all we are happy with Colorgate RIP for our UV inkjet flatbeds

Hello everyone-

My boss asked me to do some "quick" research and after reading many pages on these forums of more information than one brain can possibly process, I have come to the conclusion that all of the softwares available "work" and there is no "quick" research on this topic. I have learned more about color in the past 5 hours than in my 20 years in the printing business, thanks for sharing.

We looked at Alwan a couple of years ago and now I am being asked to gather real life information about Oris Ink Saver. If anyone is using it and would like to share your thoughts on the subject I would really appreciate it. We are a Prinergy shop so I would think there may be a viable option through Kodak as well, any thoughts?

Last edited:
My boss asked me to do some "quick" research and after reading many pages on these forums of more information than one brain can possibly process, I have come to the conclusion that all of the softwares available "work" and there is no "quick" research on this topic.

A few more bits to glaze your eyes over. All the solutions work - but some better than others, especially in workflow and production implementation. There are differences.

You can order a book describing the test results of the IPA's Ink Optimization RoundUP - 2010

Ink Optimization RoundUP - 2010 Results Report | PrintTools

It also contains prices and features comparison as well as samples of presswork.

You can also go to my blog to read an 8 part brief description of the technology, benefits, downsides, as well as descriptions of what to look for, what questions to ask your prospective vendor, and how to test it for yourself. Much of this info and procedures formed the basis for the independent IPA test above.

Go here: Quality In Print: ink saving

and scroll down to the bottom of the page to start with Part 1.

best, gordon p

Thanks Gordo.

I have already been to your blog and found it very informative and helpful. The link to the book is awesome, hopefully they will let us purchase it. It is nice to know there is a resource out there for objective comparisons. As we all know every salespersons product is the best thing since sliced bread:D

Based on my experience GMG Color server with Ink Optimizer is the best solutiond around there. Let me know if you may need any help from us, or get some info from thePrintLabs.

We have tested ink savings on web offset between 25% and 35%, and between 20% and 25% on lithographic presses. There are several ink saving transformation profiles embedded, and you can play around with different tac levels to meet your quality requirements and obtain the best result on your press.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back