GMG Colorproof 5.0.5.3 -GRACoL Extreme and/or Kaleido Ink

roscoe

I am using a custom paper (Kodak Matchprint Coated 240 Type 1)for our GMG and according to GMG documentation, using the Epson driver.
My GRACol workflow is near perfect-however, the gamut of the paper is too small to accurately proof GRACoL Extreme or the Kaleido Ink gamuts.
I output a IT8 thru Colorproof with the "linear_calibration.mx4" and the "CP_linear.mx4" for proof output to check the paper gamut. Using this same method, a had a sample roll of GMGs paper and there was hardly any difference.
Any tips or tricks to expand the Gamut??

Roscoe, something does not sound right here. What printer/inkset are you using?

I am not familiar with GRACoL Extreme or Kaleido Ink. Can you provide any info or links?

I know this paper is capable of producing a large gamut using the Epson x900 series printers. I will post back some Lab numbers and colour gamut diagrams when I have time.

EDIT: Attached is an image from a Kodak ColorFlow report comparing the Epson 9900 device profile using the Kodak SM240P T1 media to GRACoL C1. The large outer blue gamut plot is the 9900/SM240P media, while the inner red gamut plot is GRACoL C1.

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• 9900-SM240P-vs-GRACoL.jpg
    9900-SM240P-vs-GRACoL.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I have added another plot, this time showing an Epson x800 series printer (yellow keyline) using the Kodak SM240P T1 media, compared to a x900 and GRACoL C1.

As the Epson x800 series uses different inks, the plot is very different to the x900 series - for the same paper. What I found interesting was that the GRACoL gamut was slightly clipped with the x800 series. Different RIPs may change the gamut plot, due to different linearization, total ink limits, single channel ink limits etc.

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• 9800-9900-SM240P-vs-GRACoL.jpg
    9800-9900-SM240P-vs-GRACoL.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
I am not familiar with GRACoL Extreme or Kaleido Ink. Can you provide any info or links?

Toyo Kaleido inks (and novaspace inks) are high pigment load process inks that provide higher chroma at standard ink film thicknesses.

GRACoL Extreme is a standard/specification that idealliance is working on - printing standard process inks at higher ink densities in order to increase gamut.

The Print Guide: Hi-Fi color - 8 strategies to implementation

Attached is a graphic showing Kaleido (in white) vs GRACoL 7 (multicolor)

best, gordo

Attachments

• Kaleido_vs_GRACoL.jpg
    Kaleido_vs_GRACoL.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 193
Yes, the Kodak Matchprint 240 has a very nice gamut, however, the GRACoL Extreme and Kaleido gamuts are considerable larger in the shadows. Proofing these gamuts will result in clipping alot of the blues and purple shadows. I'm trying to find out if there are any tricks to expand the paper gamut out of GMG Colorproof 5. Maybe if I try the GMG driver instead of the Epson driver, it will make a difference. I'm trying to save myself a litle work by perhaps someone else having the same problem.

I've included some gamut plots at different L*'s.
The paper is the blue line
GRACoL green line
Kaleido black line
GRACoL Extreme red line

L25.jpg
L50.jpg
L75.jpg

Oops forgot.
Epson 9900
Ultrachrome Ink

Last edited:
@Roscoe
What profiles are you using for GRACoL, Kaleido, and GRACoL Extreme?
Could you email them to me at pritchardgordon @ gmail (dot) com

Thanks, gordo

Does the IDEAlliance media wedge pass validation/verification when compared to the Extreme and or Kaleido values?

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back