colour profile in InDesign cs3

kl

hi all
I am soo confused
we have just upgraded to Adobe CS3 and I am struggling with how to use my colour settings for cmyk.
please help!!!

we have been using Euroscale Coated v2 cmyk profile on all images and Indesign CS files (exporting to press PDFs with a leave unchanged option ticked under colour management).
this is the profile that was recommended by our printers (web and sheet-fed printing).

but now the new system seems not to included that profile.
(unless we run CS and CS3 simultaneously).

long story, but designers are running only CS3 and prepress people (like me) are running both while upgrade takes place.
designers running cs3 can't create files with the old profile so they've been creating them with the coated FOGRA 27 (ISO 12647-2:2004)
so when the file comes to me (I am running both versions of the software), I am placing Euroscale images into the documents and seeing a colour shift from my image in Photoshop.

what do I do?
must I switch my images to the same colour profile, or is there a way to tell InDesign to read the colour profile off the image?
Or better yet, can I load the old profile onto the machines running only CS3?
(I tried to do that but, even though I copied the profile file successfully, the CS3 programs wouldn't read the profile)
:(
help! please!

karin

Re: colour profile in InDesign cs3

Hi Karin,
This isn't making much sense. Euroscale Coated and Uncoated profiles comes with Adobe products. Are you saying CS3 is not loading the profile unless CS is running in the background? So the problem isn't on your end, it's the designers who are designing with the wrong color profiles correct?

First, you have to resolve the problem on their end. Have someone check their color settings and make sure everyone are using the same. The color shift is not a problem with CS3. Color will shift regardless whether you make the profile change or a prepress person at the printer.

That said, when you import an image into Indesign, turn on "Show Import Option", you can pick a color profile to go with the image.

Hi HappyFriday
thanks for your input and sorry for the confusion.

what do you mean by this?
"The color shift is not a problem with CS3. Color will shift regardless whether you make the profile change or a prepress person at the printer."
Why will the colour shift?
It doesn't usually (when using same profile in both PS and Indd)

if we shift to the new profile is it a biggie?
k

a new issue suddenly - some of the designers CAN access the old profile
so it's a problem with the machines that CAN'T access it, right?
how do I gt them to load the profile?
(have copied it into the relevant folder, but not to get adobe to load it...)

k

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended

Where "Library" is the main Library folder and not a User Library folder.

just a thought - don't know if it will work.

try saving the colour settings from the older version of ID and then import them into CS3. I haven't got access ot the older version of CS but I think that this may work.

worth a try?

hi all
so, I figured it out - dunno why the profile wouldn't load originally, but now it is there and working, yay!
so, all good, and we can continue with our old system

this has all made me aware though of options in the InDesign color settings box that I don't understand
can anyone help explain?
what is the difference btw these two settings?
how do they affect the images placed in the file?
k

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back